56 GMC with 74 Nova subframe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Last journal entry: Front end swap....Nova to my 56 GMC
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

56 GMC with 74 Nova subframe

Hello. Got a couple questions. I am starting the install of my nova sub-frame onto my 56 GMC pickup. The problem I am running into is deciding where to splice into my frame to achieve the ride height I want. I am thinking about putting the top of the sub-frame flush with the bottom of the existing frame, but I am worried this would sit too low?

Does anyone have pictures of their installs? Or any advice would be appreciated.

I am planning on taking pictures to show my progress as I go.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Here's a few shot's of a 58 Chevy I did with a Nova... If it has rear steering mount the clip just a little forward in the wheel well,, This will help you when it come's time to hook up the steering... Just enough to not know it was forward a little..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2260.jpg
Views:	3867
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	60064   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2272.jpg
Views:	3928
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	60066   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2253.jpg
Views:	3874
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	60067   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100815_3.JPG
Views:	3834
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	60069   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 2265.jpg
Views:	3788
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	60070  

Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the response and good pics, it looks nice.

Are you happy with your ride height? The way I was intending to do it would lower it just a bit more (at least that's what it looks like from the pic). I am just worried it will be too low.

What are you doing for your bumper mounts?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help. This is my first project so any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I am not big on the sub frame swaps at all. But this particular truck it can work out rather nice as you can see in Randy's photos, it looks like the darn thing was made like that! VERY few sub frame swaps look that good because the frame width is so different from the subframe. But those 55-59 (?) Chevy trucks are perfect for the swap.

I have only done one of these swaps and I found what I thought was a great way to set it up. Replace the shocks with all thread and tighten it down until the sub frame is at the ride height it was at on the Nova being the truck and Nova are real similar in weight. A simple measurement of the distance between the control arm rubber bumper and the frame will do it.

Set the frame up on jack stands at the height you want and then roll the sub frame into place. Use an angle finder on the upper control arms to find the exact angle it should be at (measuring off the stock Nova) and put those control arms at the same angle as you fit it up to the frame of your truck.

This will get you the ride height you want and the front will align as it should without the need for screwing with the control arms to get the alignment right.

Brian
Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. I will take that into consideration when I start this weekend. Be prepared...I might have more questions.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwilson55
Thanks for the response and good pics, it looks nice.

Are you happy with your ride height? The way I was intending to do it would lower it just a bit more (at least that's what it looks like from the pic). I am just worried it will be too low.

What are you doing for your bumper mounts?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help. This is my first project so any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

If you put the frames even you will be higher then this truck.... The more zee you add the lower the truck will sit..... Do like Brian said... Take out the springs and use some rods to hold the arms at ride height and set it wear you want it to sit... Like I said the more you zee the two frames the lower it will sit..

Here's My 57 Chevy I did with a Camaro clip..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all pics 900.jpg
Views:	5521
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	60073   Click image for larger version

Name:	all pics 901.jpg
Views:	3922
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	60074  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

yeah I guess I was thinking about it backwards. I just thought putting the top of the nova under the existing frame would be real easy, but I guess it may not be as low as I actually thought.

Do you have pictures from a distance of the 58 you did that kinda show the full stance of the truck?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I am not big on the sub frame swaps at all. But this particular truck it can work out rather nice as you can see in Randy's photos, it looks like the darn thing was made like that! VERY few sub frame swaps look that good because the frame width is so different from the subframe. But those 55-59 (?) Chevy trucks are perfect for the swap.

I have only done one of these swaps and I found what I thought was a great way to set it up. Replace the shocks with all thread and tighten it down until the sub frame is at the ride height it was at on the Nova being the truck and Nova are real similar in weight. A simple measurement of the distance between the control arm rubber bumper and the frame will do it.

Set the frame up on jack stands at the height you want and then roll the sub frame into place. Use an angle finder on the upper control arms to find the exact angle it should be at (measuring off the stock Nova) and put those control arms at the same angle as you fit it up to the frame of your truck.

This will get you the ride height you want and the front will align as it should without the need for screwing with the control arms to get the alignment right.

Brian
Thanks Brian... I try to make them look like it was never added.. When doing one if you take your time to do all the body work on the frame you will never know it... I didn't try hard to hind mine on the 57 Chevy and I had a tilt front end and a lot of people didn't even see it was added..LOL

Now the best way to do it is before you cut the back frame rails off at the bottom of the clip,,, Always start by setting the lower clip frame rails level with the ground... Once they are level... Tack a piece of angle iron on the crossmember right in the center,, Run the angle front to back in the center with the flat part of the angle up.. This will be where you will set your level later .... But this point has to be level when you tack the angle on....(level with the back lower frame rails)... Once you have this tacked on.. You can cut the bottom lower frame rails off... Now keep in mine,,If your going to zee it any... You want to leave some of the roll down on the frame...Just get Reid of the lower rails... When you go to line everything up... And your frame is sitting level... Line the clip up, And set your level on that angle front to back... Set this at level with your frame level... And it should e very close to factory... I never had to use a angle finder on the a-arms yet..It work's out great... If you want to be even more sure.. Check the a-arms.. But if you do want I'm telling you.. You don't need too.. I hope this is making some sense.... If not let me know and I will give you my # and I can explain it to you better...Hope this helps you out..Good luck..
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

So you're saying tack a piece of angle to the cross member on the clip just before the turn down. But what where are you talking about welding that angle to on the other end?

I understand what you are talking about, basically have the lower frame rail of the clip level (parallel) with the frame rail of the truck.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

I really didn't get any good shot's of this truck from the side... This is about as close as I have... Now the shot's you see here with the front end on it.. Didn't have the big block in it yet..It did sit really nice with the big block in it..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20100815_8.JPG
Views:	3876
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	60075   Click image for larger version

Name:	20100815_9.JPG
Views:	3913
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	60076   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3551.jpg
Views:	3922
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	60077   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3350.jpg
Views:	3951
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	60078  
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
So you're saying tack a piece of angle to the cross member on the clip just before the turn down. But what where are you talking about welding that angle to on the other end?

I understand what you are talking about, basically have the lower frame rail of the clip level (parallel) with the frame rail of the truck.

No... tack it right where your oil pan would be passing over the crossmember... Tack the angle like it would be the pan.... This is only used fro setting your level to install the clip and will get cut off after your done... If you don't do this... Once you cut the back lower frame rails off.. You will only be able to set it with a angle finder on the a-arms.... Doing it like I'm telling you is much easier...All your doing is adding a flat level spot on the crossmember to work off of...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I just thought putting the top of the nova under the existing frame would be real easy,

There is a lot of people that do it like that... But to me it is a dead give away when you look under the truck... It is very strong and easy to do IF that's what you want to see under your truck....
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

Okay, makes sense now. I really appreciate the help. After seeing pics of your job i definitely want to try and make mine as concealed as possible.

I will post pics.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think I did what you are thinking of doing.....You are wanting to lay the trucks frame on top of the Nova subframe that went back under the floor, right? I did it this way because I felt it had more strength that way.......and it gave a place to bolt the stock cross member for the trans in.

That is the way I did mine 20 years ago....Heres the pics I have. It is on a Ford, nota Chevy, but the effect is the same

Hope this helps

Budget RVs
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

yeah that's what I was talking about....maybe not leaving the entire portion of the sub-frame, but cutting it just before the cab mounts at an angle to tie it in nice.

I think after seeing NEW INTERIORS though I may be changing my mind.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.