57-58 olds intake/edmunds - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

57-58 olds intake/edmunds

Just got a Edmunds 2x2 intake in a trade and believe it is for a 57-58 olds.Any other years that it will fit?Any way to tell what it is for?no part number on it but there is a "B" cast in the bottom.I tried to post a picture but keep saying the file is too big

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

To the best of my knowledge, Edmunds only made 2x2 olds for the 49 to 53 303. There are 2 different castings that I have seen. Totally different in style. The earlier one is marked olds-49-53 underneath. The later is not marked.

I will put up pics of both asap.

by the way, these 2 will not fit even the 324 unless you make adapter plates to cover the larger 324 ports on the heads.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Here is an early Edmunds 2x2 for 49-53 303 olds. This was designed to use the early stock olds sidedraft carb(s). Most people ran the Stromberg AAV-26 carbs instead, that came on 40s cars like Stude, Cad, as well as the twin AAV-26s used on the factory dual carb Buick inline 8.

You may notice that the Edmunds logo is done in cursive script. The later casting has non-cursive lettering, as well as a totally different looking casting that sits higher.

Here is the early manifold using homemade aluminum spacer/adapters to be able to fit the larger ports. I don't recall exactly what year this motor is, I believe the owner said it was a 371. I can't quite make out the 2 digit casting number on the head, center port. It appears to be a 14, so it is a bigger motor that the 56 324 which used #10 heads.

The reason you need spacers is: The port size on the 303 is very small. The bolt patterns are the same on 49-to-56 at least, but the 324 & larger heads have a port that won't completely be covered by the 303 casting. So you make flat plates to cover the mismatch. I am not sure if the 49-56 bolt pattern is the same on 57-58; I did try to measure a 57-58 stock J-2 tripower manifold at a swap, and I "think" it measured out Ok.

I'll try to find where I put the pics of the later Edmunds 2x2.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Here is the later 303 casting. Note there is no open webbing between the runners like the early one, as well as the different style of lettering.

PM me if you plan on ebaying it, if it is this later style. I already have the earlier one.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

same

Yup,mine looks like the first picture,the one with the open web.Was kinda hoping I could of used it on my 38 ford pickup that I am going to start getting parts for(gotta finish the 46 dodge pickup first)Maybe I will start looking for a earlier olds motor.Thanks much for the info and pictures
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

same

Went out and looked at mine again and it looks like the second picture for the "newer"motor.has the solid base and has "EDMUNDS" with "CUSTOM" under it so I am thinking it is for the later motor.I did get a picture uploaded in my photo album

Last edited by 4b316; 07-18-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: additions
Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

same?

F&J,did you get a chance to look at my picture?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Yes, I missed it till just now

Sure looks like the later 303 OLDS. The manifold appears to be OLDS, due to the shape of the front water crossover as well as those two upright bosses for ther olds power steering bracket.

The only motor for a true bolt-on with no mods, is the 303 from 49-53. Adapter plates are needed for 324 & larger motors. The internal port runners inside the manifold will also be smaller than 324 & bigger, but if you are not after super high RPM flow, don't worry about the runner size.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.