Hot Rod Forum banner

A 57 Cadillac I picked up

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  K and K 
#1 ·
Just picked this up last night, spent the day today getting it running and rollable. Still alot more to be done. Motor is supposed to be original 365"
Never built a Caddy before but this the year I always wanted.

See less See more
#2 ·
That car is in pretty decent condition- a "survivor", looks like!

Makes me think to just detail it out all you can and keep it original as possible. Paint is gone, though, but still has the dagmars on the front bumper! :D

What are your plans for it? And, welcome aboard.

#3 ·
Thanks for having me! I have been a member on a Camaro forum for my 67' I've owned for almost fifteen years but man do I miss rodding!
For this car for the moment I need to get it streetable. The previous owner bought it as is and it sat it his garage for about five years. The owner before him slammed it by cutting front springs and blocks in the rear. The owner I bought it from pulled the rear lowering blocks but then left it as is without tightening down the u-bolts so the rear end is literally "floating" in mid air above the leaf/shock mount plates. Fuel line at carb becomes empty shortly after engine is turned off. Alternator isnt mounted right, not wired up, wiring throughout is jacked up. Lights dont work.
But original power windows and seats all work.
I want to (aside from make streetable) keep interior original looking, refresh engine in the compartment for now, then pull it in the winter depending on how far I get on the Scout II Im building for the wife!

#4 ·
Because this thread has NO technical merit ( so far ;) ) as a Moderator I moved it the the BASIC area.

Neat Cadillac. I have always like those but have never found a decent one at a price I thought reasonable. Caddys bring big BUCKS $$$ in my area.

Deuce ... Moderator

#6 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah I'm stoked. It fills a void I've had with my cars for a long time! And thank you Mr. Martin Sr. A couple years ago you set me on the right path on the TeamCamaro site and I have been greatful ever since.
Thanks mods for moving this where it fit best.

#7 ·
Some updates on a couple things I've found on the car since. Nothing unusual for an old car, but some that make you think twice before you put anyone you care about in an old car. I have'nt even scratched below the surface of the car either, just trying to enjoy some cruising with it before the Northern California rain comes.
Here is a thread I started on just peeking into the engine: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pearing-into-original-57-cadillac-365-a-183879.html

When old tires are inflated to 32psi and then driven on a 107 degree day:

Lower ball joint bolted on with one bolt...instead of four:

#16 ·
I love the car, a buddy and I painted one like it in 73, turned out nice. My uncle had a 55 we used for a fishing car, I drove, they sat in the back and drank whiskey and played cards. (My Dad and Uncle) The car was a blast to drive, i was about 13 at the time, they cruise sooo nicely! A lot of power and the pillow soft ride, super!

#17 · (Edited)
mud.man.rj said:
Nice car, does it have the type of headlights that are dark sensing. Can't remember what they are called. I worked on a 56 in town with that setup, it's not as solid as yours, it also had some weird auto trans in it. :D
Thank you, yeah this did not have it when I got it. The mex blanket I made a cover out of is temporary until I can have the seats recovered. Interior reupholstery has to wait at this moment and I just want to drive it. Your right about the trans, its GM's early Hydramatic trans. This one was called the Jetaway. Cast iron 4spd auto. I read it was the heaviest trans ever installed into a passenger car.

#18 ·
dinger said:
I love the car, a buddy and I painted one like it in 73, turned out nice. My uncle had a 55 we used for a fishing car, I drove, they sat in the back and drank whiskey and played cards. (My Dad and Uncle) The car was a blast to drive, i was about 13 at the time, they cruise sooo nicely! A lot of power and the pillow soft ride, super!
Thats about how old I was when I learned to drive as well! But thats because my mom liked the booze to much. Thank you for the kind words, I took this on the freeway for the first itme the other day and yeah, smooth! Even with the cut springs that were on the car when I got her, I was so busy trying to pay attention to vibrations and rattles that I expected that out of the corner of my eye I noticed I was passing cars. Looked down at the speedo and was well past 70. Backed her off to around 55 just to ease into her freeway ride. But smooth as hell for a cut spring car and since I took care of the vac leaks it snaps the head back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.