Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 57 Chevy Belair gear ratio selection
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

T56 ratio chart

Borg-Warner T-56 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice '57 , Here's a chart for you. As you've already been advised, pay attention to your total first gear ratio and have a custom driveshaft built to deal with the high driveshaft speed.

My setup with a 2.66 first and a 4.10 rear creates a 10.91 total first gear ratio. It's a stump pulling first, but forces you to have to pull 2nd while you're still trying to control the car from the 1st gear launch at the track. It also forces you to have to shift 2nd in the middle of a turn at red lights and stop signs, which I find aggravating. I feel that a 3.73 rear would likely be better (2.66x3.73=9.92), but i'm just living with whats there(ain't broke, don't fix)

Example on the driveshaft, my wifes Z28 has the puny stock drive shaft and you can feel the driveshaft start to vibrate at about 80-85 mph in overdrive with a 3.23 rear. It gets worse at speeds over 100mph. My SS has a custom built 3.5" aluminum driveshaft, no vibration at all, at speeds all the way on the right hand side of the speedometer. Nolan