57 Chevy Console, from another type vehicle?? help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

57 Chevy Console, from another type vehicle?? help

i have a 57 chevy and i put bucket seats in it, everything on the car is done except the interior. i was gonna have a custom center console made, but then i figured i would ask around and see if anyone knew of any stock consoles out of other types of vehicles will fit in there with no or slight modification. someone told me a 3rd gen camaro console would work. does anyone in here know of any other types of stock consoles that would work?

any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks a million
Jay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Don't know what your interior looks like, but if its relatively stock, there were many consoles produced for GM vehicles with bucket seats in the 60's. Chevy's are an obvious place to look, but I wouldn't overlook other vehicles like Pontiacs and even Buicks for customization. A lot of the early ones weren't integrated into the overall dash design, so they can be installed in any vehicle.

Problem is, these get pulled from cars regularly and are pretty desireable. Also, they tend to be less user-friendly than modern consoles (no cupholders).

My '62 Pontiac has a console with a tach mounted. Other than the "Pontiac" written on the tach face, nothing would indicate what sort of vehicle it was from.

I'm not up on my Buicks, but Rivs had center consoles for a lot of years too. Most of the F/S and M/S cars had bucket seat/console options in the 60's.

The easiest thing would to find a junkyard and go there with a ruler. However, you could also go to car shows and maybe see what you like, then ask the owner if you could take some measurements. Then you could hit ebay.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:45 PM

well actually right now the interior is gutted, except for 2 front cheapo seats just to have something to sit on to drive it. and the stock bench backseat. i have 2 custom front bucket seats, ready to go in once i decide how im going to do the interior because they have to be upolstered also to match. i never knew deciding how i want the interior would be so hard. LOL, there r soooooo many styles i see that i like. im pretty sure the door panels will have flames in them as well as (possibly) the headliner. so in all actuality i was "kinda" looking for a newer production center console. so it had cupholders, and an armrest that possibly flipped up to be a little compartment, i mean all this isnt necessary, but would be nice. im not trying to make the interior look modern, or make it look original/stock. ill figure something out soon. but i figured if i found a console i could use and pull it out of a wrecked car/suv from a junkyard it would more than likely be alot cheaper (hopefully) than having the person doing my interior build a custom one.

Originally i was going to have a custom one built that went from under the dash, back between the front bucket seats, and then they were going to either use 2 bucket seats in the back, or cut the original bench seat, and run the console up between it and flow up to the back window sill. sounded great. then the price hit me. lol. i mean it wasnt ungodly expensive but at the time i was pretty low on funds. i mean i KNOW i might as well just break down n spend the cash on it and get exactly what i want, so i dont compromise and later be mad because i didnt just say "screw it" n do what i really wanted. ANYWAY, lemme shut up here.
but like i said, before i went lookin thru salvage/junk yards looking into vehicles/suv's trying to "guess" if the console in a specific vehicle would possibly fit. i figured i would ask. and i know SOMEONE out there can rattle off a bunch of different ones that have been used on 57 buildups before that didnt require a HUGE amount of modification.
does anyone know of any other websites or forums i could check out?
any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks again in advance.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

console

Dont look around and buy one, build it yourself. That way you have it the way you want.They are not that hard to build. Then you can have it covered to match your interior. Im building mine out of 16 gauge, and im putting in front and rear cup holders.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.