Hot Rod Forum banner

57 Chevy Door Panels

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
I am rebuilding a 57 Chevy and I am now working on some of the interior parts. I am designing the door panels now and I am looking for some advice. I have done a lot of research but I am new to some of this. The original panels were cardboard with vinyl and fabric glued to them. I want to fiberglass in some speaker and tweeter mounts in the area identified in the picture below and cover with vinyl while preserving most of the original design detail. Here are my thoughts.

I would like to use ABS (because t's waterproof) for the backing board, speaker rings, and supports. I was thinking about just glassing the area around the speakers but I am concerned that the fleece would not staple or adhere well to the ABS. Plus, with the ABS a bit flexible I am thinking it would separate. Then I thought I would just glass the entire panel. It would only be contoured near the speakers. I'm still worried about it adhering well to the ABS. Then I thought I would just use lauan or masonite and glass just around the speakers. Again, either material, at 1/8", will still be a little flexible so I'm back to just laying fiberglass over the whole panel plus trying to seal the board to be water restraint. Does this make sense? What would you do?

See less See more
#8 ·
Yes, PVC foam board is also called foamed PVC or expanded PVC, and has lots of different brand names like Komatex, Palight, CelTec, and Sintra. You'll have to scuff the foam board to allow glue or resin to stick to it. Test the resin and filler on a small piece first.

#6 ·
Excellent!!

So you wouldn't bother with fiberglass? Try, instead, to form the sheet? Maybe sculpt the shape out of foam, heat the Celtec, and lay over the foam form? Will it sand? I think I'll check their cutoff bin and see if they have any to play with.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.