57 Chevy Front Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 10:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

57 Chevy Front Suspension

I new to the board and thought I'd give this a try.
Anyway I been out of building car for awhile and now starting a come back.
I'm building a 57 Chevy and was wanting to put a newer suspension on it. I'd like to keep the cost down so I would rather use a newer car front end like a camaro or ?. In the old we would use a nova front clip. But that is over 25 years old. Is there a newer model that everyone is using?
Thanks for you help
Ken

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Last photo:

That is going to be one big job. As you have stated, most components are going to be old, but can be rebuilt to new or like new specs. Ball joints and A arm bushings can all be replaced, calipers can be rebuilt ect. Also firms like TCI make custom front clip replecements with state of the art components. The price really isn't that bad when you take it all into consideration.

What is the main beef with the 57 front end anyway? You can get disc brake conversions, GM 603 power steering box conversions, stabilizer bar upgrades all for the tri 5's that really make it a nice ride.

Vince
Old 09-11-2003, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Silvern......... I am going to agree with Vince on this one here.... By changing your front out to a Camaro/Nova front you are not gaining anything but a lot of work. There is nothing wrong with the front clip you have under there especially with tubular control arms, brake and steering upgrades that are available, there is no reason to do that........ If you really want to boost the performance of the suspension, you need to look at putting at full chassis under it.

Tony....
Old 09-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I have update my 57 210 wagon with the 605 box conversion and disk brakes and it is a pleasure to drive
Old 09-15-2003, 08:12 AM

My son's 57 BelAir 2dr has manual disc brakes, and manual factory steering. He is of the "what's manual steering?" generation and has no complaints about how his "classic Chevy" steers or stops. Of course, it was, and is, his first and only car so what does he know?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:15 PM
cutouts and 7k shifts = cops

I was there last winter.

The most economical thing to do is to buy the disk kits. If you plan to not drop the car, you can use the current drum spindles you have now. See East Coast Chevy catalog.

If you drop it, say 2-3" like by phat ride, you can put on a chevelle
disk setup fro ECC or Heidts. Careful of the impoted spindles, they are known to crack. Be sure to buy all parts made in the USA.

Save your $ and buy the kit, do the whole thing,brakes / steering / suspension ALL at once, and you will be delighted with the results.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 PM

I have read this forum and am looking to do the same conversions to my 57 Chevy suspension.
I am looking to lower it by 2" and am wondering if someone can send me a link to a website to order the conversions talked about from.

Thank You

Michael

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.