57 Chevy generator to altenator swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2002, 05:42 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question 57 Chevy generator to altenator swap

Hi Guys,
I'm new but I was wondering if anybody could help me. I have a 57 Chevy with the stock generator, I've put in a 350 in place of the 283 and would like to know how to wire up an altenator insted of the generator, I have a chrome altenator I want to use, The generator has 3 wires (bat) (feild) (ground) the same as the wires on the altenator could I put a plug on these wires that would plug up to the altenator and still use the generator's voltige regulator?
Thanks! Rodrunner

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2002, 06:47 PM

Rodrunner: Go down seven posts to " Wiring an Alternator" John posted a website with a complete drawing that you can print off on how to wire the alternator. It is very complete and simple to read. When you get done you will be able to hang out your own shingle!! GOOD LUCK Dave E Shank
Old 07-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Old Fart

Last photo:

Welcome Rodrunner and Howdy all

Al here with AutoReWire.com

Sounds like you have an early style Delcotron 5.5 1D alternator that uses an external regulator.
Do not try to use your original regulator with this alternator. There is nothing wrong with these alternators everybody today wants a "one wire".

Look at this <a href="http://www.softcom.net/users/acnss/image/DelcotronAltwiring.jpg" target="_blank">diagram</a> and see if your's is like it or not. If yours is like it go to ReWire # 1 Below. If it is not go to ReWire # 2 Below.

ReWire # 1 Delcotron 5.5 1D Alternator

Go to the Auto Parts store and buy a new regulator for '65 Chevy V8. If you can scroung up a good connector (it will be marked F,2,3,4) at a wrecking yard or from a bud for the new regulator it will look a bit better than what I am about to tell you to do. Label the wires so you know where they originally where on the generator and on the regulator. Install the new alternator and the new regulator.

You will need to take the tape off the wire harness between the generator and the voltage regulator and maybe even back towards the fire wall a few inches.

You will find four wires to deal with. One is the heavy red Battery wire that runs from the BAT connection on the voltage regulator to the starter. This wire will be shortened up and connected to the BAT terminal (the large stud on) the alternator.

The wire running from the FLD on the voltage regulator to the F or FLD on the generator can be hooked up the the F spade terminal on the alterntor and the F terminal on the regulator.

The wire that runs from the GEN connector on the voltage regulator to the A or ARM on the generator. This wire can be connected to the #2 terminal on the regulator and to the R spade connector on the alterntor.

Assuming that you have an idiot light and want to keep it working there will be another smaller wire that will also be connected to this one some where either at the voltage regulator or spliced in the harness. This wire from the idiot light can be tested to make sure you have the right one by turning on the key and grounding it. If you have the right wire the idiot light will light. You will connect this wire to the # 4 terminal at the regulator.

.ReWire # 2 Delcotron 10 SI Alternator

You will need to take the tape off the wire harness between the generator and the voltage regulator and maybe even back towards the fire wall a few inches.

You will find four wires to deal with. One is the heavy red Battery wire that runs from the BAT connection on the voltage regulator to the starter. This wire will be shortened up and connected to the BAT terminal (the large stud on) the alternator.

Another is the wire that runs from the GEN connector on the voltage regulator to the A or ARM on the generator. This wire will be discarded. Assuming that you have an idiot light and want to keep it working there will be another smaller wire that will also be connected to this one some where either at the voltage regulator or spliced in the harness. This wire from the idiot light can be tested to make sure you have the right one by turning on the key and grounding it. If you have the right wire the idiot light will light. You will connect this wire to the # 1 or R spade terminal on the alternator.

The wire running from the FLD on the voltage regulator to the F or FLD on the generator can also be discarded.

If your new alternator is NOT a one wire, connect a jumper lead between the # 2 or F spade connector and the BAT post on the alternator.

Remove and discard the voltage regulator for the generator.
If you need any more info, parts or help feel free to email me. Al@AutoReWire.com

Good luck

al

If it's a sparkin' - she's a hot!

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: AutoReWire ]</p>
P.O. Box 636
Galt, CA 95632
209-481-6496 or 209-748-5555
[email]e-mail: Al@AutoReWire.com[/email]

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.