57 chevy pick up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

THe only thing desireable about that pile is the big back window.
X2 on what Tucson says.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM
if you beat my boat, well race

Last photo:

where athe pics of the engine?
yes GMC's came with pontiac engines. to further your research, if it has what appears to be thermostat housings on each head, its most likely a factory poncho 347.
if it was a swap, more than likely, they would have used a post 65 389.

the best thing for you to do is buy it cheap and sell it with minimal work.

sure you may beable to dump some money into it, but you will never get your time out of it.

good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to h0trod For This Useful Post:
Ironpony (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Your truc is Not a 57 GMC ,The grille is a 55-56 chevy ,hood is a 56 GMC truck a 57 has 2 ridges down top ,the 57 grille and bumpers are much different ,grille should wrap around sides ,heavy metal casting with Dolly Parton bumpers ,also I thinh the headlights are 59 chevy or corvair turned on there side ,look at gauges are they sweep speedometer or round ,,I think what you have is a GMC with 55 chevy grille custom headlights and a gmc hood .IMO..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
Ironpony (05-10-2013), techinspector1 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Note the small v between headlights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59-Impala-Front.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	73886  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
Ironpony (05-10-2013), techinspector1 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironpony View Post
Ok guys since I want to build this to sell, so I can get some money to build My 33.
it is your truck your welcome to do what you want with it
but i don't see restoring this truck for profit
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

This is a 57 GMC which is what you have , as apposed to the 57-59 chevy in photo above.by Ogre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0812cct_04_z+  1957_gmc__pick_up+truck_dashboard.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	73895  
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
Ironpony (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks to all the posters. Every comment helps Me decide what to do with it. I know from the outside looking into this it doesn't look like I could redo this truck and make a dime from it. Well I really don't see how I couldn't. I'll explain, unlike so many I really have it made. One I don't have a dime in this truck. I traded some labor for it. Two it runs and can be driven home although it doesn't run great it does run. Three of all the trucks i've looked at in this vintage this one is in the best shape, It has no holes in the body and all of the body is there with the exception of the grill and headlight buckets. The frame only has surface rust no pitting. And is in really great shape. Four I have a very complete shop and the skills to go with it. This isn't my first rod or My first resto. My first was in 1974. Five Unlike so many I do not have to send one thing about this out to anyone to have something done. As a example I just put a new roof line and left quarter panel and hood right front fender on My 68 El Camino because My Wife and Daughter left it outside in a Hail storm. ( And that's a whole differnt story) Six. I only work part time as I am semi retired, And I make really good money running a very large heavy equipment repair shop 4 days a week. Not to mention the money I make from My own shop. Seven. The photos don't do this truck justice, this thing is in way better shape than it appears. My list of what I need to do with this is shorter than you know. Body and bed removed from frame, Sand blast and paint frame. (after a very good inspection). Remove engine and freshen up. as I have already said it runs. Rebearing trans and reseal. rebuild rear end and brakes. Rebuild steering. The body will be media blasted all damage repaired and front end made right for headlight buckets New grill and bumpers. And new wood for bed. All new rubber and one piece of glass. The electrical system works but has some problem areas so it will probably get a new painless wiring harness. The seat frame and springs are in good shape but it will need new foam and a cover. Everything I need for this is in LMC's catalog but for two things. the parts for the engine and trans and wheels. I have totaled up the prices for what I need to finish it. And yes I know that the price grows as you go along. And I know I will never get My labor out of it. But that is ok I will have fun doing it. But with out the price of the wheels and tires (as I don't really know what I'm going to do with them) I have a really hard time getting the parts list above about 4,500.00 to 5,000.00. Not to mention the fact that I live within driving distance of LMC truck and can go get parts without paying shipping. And finely number eight. I already have a buyer. And he really want's the truck. So I really think I can build this and still make some money from it. We will see. Thanks for the suggestions Bill
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironpony View Post
Thanks to all the posters. Every comment helps Me decide what to do with it. I know from the outside looking into this it doesn't look like I could redo this truck and make a dime from it. Well I really don't see how I couldn't. I'll explain, unlike so many I really have it made. One I don't have a dime in this truck. I traded some labor for it. Two it runs and can be driven home although it doesn't run great it does run. Three of all the trucks i've looked at in this vintage this one is in the best shape, It has no holes in the body and all of the body is there with the exception of the grill and headlight buckets. The frame only has surface rust no pitting. And is in really great shape. Four I have a very complete shop and the skills to go with it. This isn't my first rod or My first resto. My first was in 1974. Five Unlike so many I do not have to send one thing about this out to anyone to have something done. As a example I just put a new roof line and left quarter panel and hood right front fender on My 68 El Camino because My Wife and Daughter left it outside in a Hail storm. ( And that's a whole differnt story) Six. I only work part time as I am semi retired, And I make really good money running a very large heavy equipment repair shop 4 days a week. Not to mention the money I make from My own shop. Seven. The photos don't do this truck justice, this thing is in way better shape than it appears. My list of what I need to do with this is shorter than you know. Body and bed removed from frame, Sand blast and paint frame. (after a very good inspection). Remove engine and freshen up. as I have already said it runs. Rebearing trans and reseal. rebuild rear end and brakes. Rebuild steering. The body will be media blasted all damage repaired and front end made right for headlight buckets New grill and bumpers. And new wood for bed. All new rubber and one piece of glass. The electrical system works but has some problem areas so it will probably get a new painless wiring harness. The seat frame and springs are in good shape but it will need new foam and a cover. Everything I need for this is in LMC's catalog but for two things. the parts for the engine and trans and wheels. I have totaled up the prices for what I need to finish it. And yes I know that the price grows as you go along. And I know I will never get My labor out of it. But that is ok I will have fun doing it. But with out the price of the wheels and tires (as I don't really know what I'm going to do with them) I have a really hard time getting the parts list above about 4,500.00 to 5,000.00. Not to mention the fact that I live within driving distance of LMC truck and can go get parts without paying shipping. And finely number eight. I already have a buyer. And he really want's the truck. So I really think I can build this and still make some money from it. We will see. Thanks for the suggestions Bill
When you get finished you MIGHT not want to sell ,,that's useally what happens to me,the most expensive parts ,probably will be the bumper and guards and grill, Bood luck with your project.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Mustache apron

I don't know if LMC has this part for the front end. I was lucky and mine was in good shape. There is not a lot of these around. If you find one in descent shape hang on to it very tight.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.