Hot Rod Forum banner

57 chevy pickup

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DOUBLEDICK 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, anyone wanna talk chevy?
my name is DeLoss, i live in vegas, and i am currently working on my first restoration. I picked up a 57 chevy 3100 Apache for 1200.00 and have since been engulfed by the desire to make a cool hot rod out of it. this is what i want: a cool looking ,*****en sounding , low riding hot rod truck.this is what i've got: 350 block .30 over , centerbolt vortec heads, 9.5-10/1 comp., comp cam gvl int. .477 ex. .480 110degree lobe sep. and new valve springs, weiand action plus intak, k&n extreme intake, eldebrock 650 carb, roller rockers, gear drive, fel pro hypereutetic coated skirt pistons, clevite bearings, msd ignition, hooker comp long tube headers, etc. I hope im on the right track. I dont know very many people who can give me accurate advise on hot rodding. i am looking forward to exchanging info with fellow hotrodders.
so far i have completely disassembled the truck. the cab and bed are in pretty good shape. 4 or 5 baseball size bondo splotches are the only repairs that need to be made. I've completely sandblasted the frame, and am planning on redoing the suspension (mabey MSII) powdercoat or paint the frame? ford 9'' rear end? there are lots of ? where do i begin?
any advise for a first timer would be much appreciated. thanks, DSW

#3 ·
I think this falls under, HOW TO SPEND $20,000.00
Good luck, you will find all of your answers on this board, just bring lots of money and ambition! :welcome:

#6 ·
DSW said:
where do i begin?
any advise for a first timer would be much appreciated. thanks, DSW
Welcome DeLoss,

Have a clear idea of how you want the truck to look when done - style, theme, the look.

Determine a budget (money and time) to get there. Then add in more money and time.

Have enough room - a disassembled vehicle takes a lot of space.

Stay organized. Bag and tag all old parts. Take lots of pictures on disassembly. Make a things to do list on what needs to be done - and parts that need to be ordered. Rebuilding a vehicle is project management.

Complete something on the vehicle on a regular basis so you can see progress. Many projects get pushed to the side for many reasons and I think not seeing light at the end of the tunnel is one of them.

Souds like you have a solid truck. Have fun with the build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.