Hot Rod Forum banner

57 Chevy rear end

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  57Waygone 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a good site for info on the rear end out of a 57 chevy? A friend has one under a T-bucket, and wants to find a posi for it, but I don't know what to look for. Is it a 12 bolt, 10 bolt or what?? :confused:
MF

#3 ·
The center section you want will have a big "P" cast on the flange by the other numbers. This denote a factory posi. unit. They are much more expensive than the standard open center sections but worth the money.

Once in a while you can find a person that doesn't know what they have and get one for a song... Those days are, for the most part, over.

A bare P-case can go for $150 or more. Ive seen complete P-case posi. sections with Corvette numbers, go for as high as a grand.

#4 ·
The weakest link on these rearends are the 17 spline axels. Mosier makes good replacments. They too, are well worth the money..

Who says you need a 9" Ford setup for a good street performance application? If it need to be Bullet Proof, a Dana 60 is the only way to fly. ;)

#5 ·
Just to let you know, that Eaton makes a posi module that will drop right in you 57 third member rear end. They are asking 350.00 for it, and I'm guessing it is a good one.

The weakest link in a 55 -64 rear end is the spider gears.

I have busted gears and never twisted or stripped an axle. Anyone have any extra side or spider gears for one?

Ron

#6 ·
57 - I guess that's true if you get one side broke loose then it all of a sudden hooks up... Speaking of those 17 spline axles - I've seen those babys twist two revolutions before they break off.. That's why we painted a stipe on them to see how far they twisted. I've got spiders and side gears too but I need 'em.

#7 ·
Thanks anyway Prime, I just bought some on E-bay. Just got to wait for the mail to arrive. At least I have plenty of time to clean out all the gear pieces in the rear. What a nasty job cleaning a rear end. Does anyone have an easy way of putting the leafs on top of the axle of a 57?

Thanks,

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.