57 Dodge Coronet 325 poly Hemi Restoring - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957plymouthhemi
Honestly Jester your statements are quite confusing, and at face value not entirely accurate.

“.......Chrysler ran the 331 & 354 poly head engines 56 to 58 poly was a hemi with a different head configuration….”

While Chrysler did offer the 331 Poly in 56 and 354 in 57 and 58 they also offered the Hemi 354 (56 only) and 392 (57 and 58). As the heads determined what type of engine it was, you EITHER had a hemi or Poly and it was more involved than just the heads, other changes were also made such as piston, push rods, cam etc…so it was not just a HEMI with different heads.

“…….Poly's & Hemi's both had spherical combustion chambers but the poly had a quench pad and the hemi didn't….”

A sphere is just that and a Hemisphere is a part of a sphere……once you add material to the sphere it is no longer a sphere (no matter how Chrysler spins their 3rd Generation HEMI). As you can see in the picture Centerline posted, the Poly does not have a spherical combustion chamber.

“........They were called red rams in the Plymouths with small valve covers & exposed plug wires like the 440s .Plymouth ran the polys till 1964. And then went to the trade mark Hemi!.....”

Red Ram is a Dodge designation for their engines, and while their earlier versions were available in Plymouths it was only for 2 years (1955 and 1956). From 1958 on Plymouth could be ordered with either a Poly motor or the B/RB big block engine. The Poly (318) was available thru the end of its production in 1966 (when the LA engine was introduced).

“........Center line: In that #1 picture you posted the chamber looks like a latter model? higher compression bigger bore modified poly head? Milled with a lot bigger valves? Earlier head chambers where deeper and didn't have the compression pad coming into chamber, that picture makes it look a lot more like a wedge shape !.....”

This is a picture of an as removed 354 Poly head, very much like the one Centerline posted. As shown his description of a “......combustion chamber which is basically a canted valve modified wedge design……” is not entirely inaccurate.

Not trying to throw stones, just clarify a few thing.

I take no offense these are pictures of other heads a little different. and yours is different from these. All are polys.
I only mentioned the combustion chambers I know all the differences in the engines. I dont think I said it was a hemi with different heads ?(Maybe I miss typed?) I also put in an attachment with all the different specs. I also wrote about the quench pad But called it a compression pad. I should have said earlier & smaller cubic inch. I wasnt just talking about the 354. when poly first appeared it was a little different when it was taged a poly. Theres not much on the internet about the first poly that I can find. Its all from my memory. I also posted that I agreed it wasn't a true hemispherical combustion chamber. more of a semi. I was just saying it wasn't a wedge design either.

Jester

http://www.hotrodders.com/http://www...id=63122&stc=1

The quench pads in your picture is very much larger and on both sides of the valves Making your head look even more like a wedge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	318-chamber.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	63122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clare-318-chamber2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	63123  

Advertisement

Last edited by painted jester; 02-19-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Sorry I see I did Write it was a hemi!! I did mean to say it was like a hemi ! I need to proof read better Thanks for pointing that out It changes the the meaning of my posts if you read that first. You would think I was trying to convince people it was a hemi & not semi. But if you read all my posts and atachments you'll see I wasn't.

Jester
Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

[QUOTE=painted jester]I take no offense

I forgot to mention that the second picture I posted is a milled head with bigger valves installed. The polys compressions went from 7 to 1 all the way up to 10 to 1.! The higher the compression the bigger the compression pads ( quench pads) until eventually the sphere shape almost disappears In the last years of the polys; it was their demise and Chrysler went to the full wedge! Which is understandable! And eventually even the Hemi followed !

Im picking my brain now but I seem to recollect that the Plymouth poly's were different then the Chrysler, Desoto, and Dodge engs. And plymouth poly parts were not interchangeable with the Chrysler, Dodge and Desoto polys! Im not sure about that my memory isn't what it used to be and I worked for many other big 3 dealerships during that time I might be totally wrong! The last poly I worked on was over 35 years ago so my memory is just a little fuzzy

I remember even the old Checker co. taxi's came in to the dealership running polys But that could be a fuzzy memory too LOL .They should come up with a pill for that! Its really funny because I can remember my phone from wen I was 5 years old AV-40584 but I cant remember my home phone now LOL

Jester

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.