57 Dodge Coronet 325 poly Hemi Restoring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

57 Dodge Coronet 325 poly Hemi Restoring

We are a husband and wife team with a love for a 1957 Dodge Coronet that we have had for 20 years. We are the 2nd owners, with all the paperwork from the date of original purchase when it was new.
Our Coronet is a turqouise, has a 325 poly hemi, is a 2 door post, push button automatic. We dismantled it about 15 years ago in the attempts to restore it, but then I (Don) was injured in an accident that left me with a permanent injury to my back, that stalled our project until now. We are motivated to get this beautiful car back together again and work together at the process.
In looking for parts we came across this website. It is so cool to see there are other people out there who have this car and as long as we have had our car we have only physically seen 2 others. What we are thinking about doing now is getting the engine rebuilt first. It was running and driving before we took it apart and it had a lower end knock in the motor. All the engine parts are oiled and shrink wrapped so they are not rusty including the block. We have a new crank shaft, so we are looking for a good cam because some of the lobes are flat on the old one. Would like to go with Hemi heads and everything that it would take to make that happen but not sure of what that is. I have a 2 barrel intake manifold and I think we need a 4 barrel. Any suggestions about how to make this happen, how much it will cost and any encouragements along the way would be so appreciated.

Don & Sue
Vancouver WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

EGGE should have every thing you need phone #866-996-egge www.egge.com

Jester
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Welcome to Hotrodders! I am by no means a Dodge expert, although the '57 was a beautiful car, I think the only hemi offered was the D-500 package 354. There were no 325 hemis, only polys.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Rare car. You want to convert check out these guys. They could answer all your questions.
http://www.hothemiheads.com/
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech
Welcome to Hotrodders! I am by no means a Dodge expert, although the '57 was a beautiful car, I think the only hemi offered was the D-500 package 354. There were no 325 hemis, only polys.
Its a 325 poly head offered in the Dodges & Desotos 1957 and 1958 Chrysler ran the 331 & 354 poly head engines 56 to 58 poly was a hemi with a different head configuration the plugs didnt go through the valve covers. But can be converted to the standard head Chrysler. They were called FIREDOME & FIREPOWER in the Desotos

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

Welcome. The 57 Dodges were a neat car. I owned a 57 Coronet that was equipped like yours with a 325 Poly......I took the easy way out and stuffed in a 440, but that’s another story.

I’m more into the 1st Gen Chrysler Hemi’s but have worked on the Dodge version a bit and did some research in the past on them.

As far as I know at this point no one is producing a new cam for the 325 Dodge engines. The best you’ll be able to get will be a regound unit and I would suggest Hot Hemi Heads (one of the sites listed above) for that.

The 325 Poly and Hemi engines used the same block, crank and rods. The 1956 315 and 1957 325 Hemi heads are a bolt on (Dodge or Chrysler HEMI heads will not fit). I’m under the understanding the that the pistons are different between the 2 engines, primarily in piston height and where the valve reliefs are cut.....my understanding is the HEMI heads will work with the Poly pistons but as the piston sits lower the compression the compression will go down. Pushrods are different, and as I recall the exhaust manifolds are the same between the HEMI and Poly engines the intakes may interchange, but as you’re looking for an intake anyway, you might as well look for the correct HEMI intake (either in single 4bbl or dual quads.

I believe someone over at the Forward Look site has done this swap so you might want to check over there.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp

As far as cost it will be expensive regardless of whether you convert to hemi or not. If your engine needs pistons (and it probably will to do it right), you are likely looking at 2500-3000 to rebuild the engine. Converting to hemi heads (depending on what you have to pay for them) and an intake and all the other little items (valve covers, pushrods, carburator(s) etc) can easily push the cost to over $5000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Dodge  Pass.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	63049  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Im pretty sure EGGE has the cams ground by isky I show them in an old catolog. Plymouth had the red ram poly single rocker arm shaft because of engine compartment room Ive been told (by my father he used to work for Desoto in R&D and at the test track), Its funny the new Hemi isnt a Hemi its just called that for marketing. I ran a Poli Red Ram many years ago in a 38 Plymouth there used to be a lot of speed parts for those old poly engines! Even Injection in 57. Try calling Mopar Performance and talk to a tech. Ill look through some more of my old catalogs and see what I can find!

Poly's & Hemi's both had spherical combustion chambers but the poly had a quench pad and the hemi didn't so when you change heads there is a loss of compression you have to change pistons.The poly stands for poly spherical ! I wouldn't change it! Chrysler was the first to have a production engine thats cubic inch was equal to its horsepower 345 c.i. 345 h.p. dual quad carters in 1957 the 283 283 was an option at Chevrolet it was standard for Chrysler (that used to make my Dad really mad when people would tell him Chevy was first). I used to go to the test track with him & watch em test tunnel rams & multi carb combinations and injection systems in the early 50s.If they didn't work they were tagged & sent to a crusher!! Too bad the stuff they tested was really cool!) He did bring a couple of test tunnel rams home that weren't destroyed for the 354 and they were in the garage for many years! When I came out of the service they were gone "HE GAVE EM AWAY" I was into Chevys by then he didn't think I would want em!!! The 325 had a lot of speed equipment too I remember a tri power intake that might have been an option I cant remember for sure, But a friend of mine had a 6 duece intake for one by Weiand (could be still available?)

I just looked in the catalog and EGGE has the blanks and has isky grind the cams!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

forgot another

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
Its a 325 poly head offered in the Dodges & Desotos 1957 and 1958 Chrysler ran the 331 & 354 poly head engines 56 to 58 poly was a hemi with a different head configuration the plugs didnt go through the valve covers. But can be converted to the standard head Chrysler. They were called FIREDOME & FIREPOWER in the Desotos

Jester
They were called red rams in the Plymouths with small valve covers & exposed plug wires like the 440s .Plymouth ran the polys till 1964. And then went to the trade mark Hemi!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

325 red ram

Thank you all for the awesome info We will check out the links given.
I think out Dodge paperwork states it is a Dodge 325 Red Ram and it is a KDS model as well.
We still have the pistons and rods so do you think we would need new ones?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This is a Poly head combustion chamber which is basically a canted valve modified wedge design.

New generaton hemi combustion chamber. Not totally hemispherical due to quench and emissions requrements but mostly hemispherical non the less.

And the early hemi true hemispherical combustion chamber. When they designed this one emissions weren't a concern.

In '57 Dodge offered both 315 and 325 poly head V8s along with a 325 hemi. Hemi heads from either the '56 315 or '57 325 engines would work very well on your poly. Just FYI, your KDS poly had a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and 310 hp so it was pretty healthy in its own right. When searching for parts keep in mind that many Dodge trucks used Chrysler hemis and has been mentioned earlier parts between Chrysler, Dodge, and DeSoto hemis generally do not interchange. For the best advice you can get.... (trust me don't go by what someone might tell you on the internet) call Bob Walker at Hotheads. He will steer you in the right direction.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Running a small block Chevy is like having a girlfriend who wears a push-up bra. The numbers look great, but once you get under the hood, there's not as much there as you thought." - Anonymous
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...e/viewall.html

My daughter posted these on here LOL I hope they are ok!
#1 has a small paragraph by an engineer about the poly not being a wedge I found a lot more but posted this one because of the other info you might like!

#2 is just interesting reading!

Jester
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

“.... We still have the pistons and rods so do you think we would need new ones?...”

It really depends on the condition of the parts, and this is where a good machine shop comes into play unless you have the precision measuring tools and know how to use them.

At least some of the rods will likely be reusable, the exception being if the lower end knock you mentioned happened to be a rod knock, in which case the rod(s) involved will possibly be trashed beyond saving. The rods should be checked for straightness, and chances are the small ends should be re-bushed and the big ends resized.

If you end up using the Poly heads, and the cylinders don’t have excessive wear or taper and the pistons themselves don’t have excessive wear, you will probably be able to reuse them. If you go to HEMI heads you will probably want to change over to the correct pistons just to keep the compression where it needs to be.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...e/viewall.html

My daughter posted these on here LOL I hope they are ok!
#1 has a small paragraph by an engineer about the poly not being a wedge I found a lot more but posted this one because of the other info you might like!

#2 is just interesting reading!

Jester
When you look at the combustion chamber pictures, the "new" hemi looks to be closer to the poly in overall shape. However the poly has much less "hemisperical" shape than the 5.7 or 6.1 ltr. engines.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
When you look at the combustion chamber pictures, the "new" hemi looks to be closer to the poly in overall shape. However the poly has much less "hemisperical" shape than the 5.7 or 6.1 ltr. engines.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack
Center line: In that #1 picture you posted the chamber looks like a latter model? higher compression bigger bore modified poly head? Milled with a lot bigger valves? Earlier head chambers where deeper and didn't have the compression pad coming into chamber, that picture makes it look a lot more like a wedge shape ! A poly is not truly a hemispherical chamber I agree with you but its also not a wedge. That's why it was called poly-spherical ( I have no Idea what poly stands for LOL) Semi would have been much better but there were so many vehicles then and earlier that had hemispherical & semi chambers Im guessing Some engineer picked poly? These Chrysler engines dressed up are really beautiful and not cookie cutters! I've seen so many pulled out and scrapped and replaced with chevy or later dodge small blocks (its too bad).

I have a question to anyone about an option? I worked on two cars over the years a 56 Dodge the other a 55 Plymouth they had containers on each side of the trunk that you filled with sand and had a funnel system that dumped the sand in front of the rear tires. The control knob was on the dashes that you pulled like a choke control to operate the dumping system! One had Chrysler logos on the cans the other had no logos and different style cans but operated the same way! These 2 were the only cars Ive ever seen with these systems! Now were these offered as an option? Did this come on any other big three vehicles? Has anyone else seen these? I don't want to change the subject on the thread but we are talking about an older Dodge And I Apologize to you who started the thread but maybe this would interest you too ?

Jester
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Honestly Jester your statements are quite confusing, and at face value not entirely accurate.

“.......Chrysler ran the 331 & 354 poly head engines 56 to 58 poly was a hemi with a different head configuration….”

While Chrysler did offer the 331 Poly in 56 and 354 in 57 and 58 they also offered the Hemi 354 (56 only) and 392 (57 and 58). As the heads determined what type of engine it was, you EITHER had a hemi or Poly and it was more involved than just the heads, other changes were also made such as piston, push rods, cam etc…so it was not just a HEMI with different heads.

“…….Poly's & Hemi's both had spherical combustion chambers but the poly had a quench pad and the hemi didn't….”

A sphere is just that and a Hemisphere is a part of a sphere……once you add material to the sphere it is no longer a sphere (no matter how Chrysler spins their 3rd Generation HEMI). As you can see in the picture Centerline posted, the Poly does not have a spherical combustion chamber.

“........They were called red rams in the Plymouths with small valve covers & exposed plug wires like the 440s .Plymouth ran the polys till 1964. And then went to the trade mark Hemi!.....”

Red Ram is a Dodge designation for their engines, and while their earlier versions were available in Plymouths it was only for 2 years (1955 and 1956). From 1958 on Plymouth could be ordered with either a Poly motor or the B/RB big block engine. The Poly (318) was available thru the end of its production in 1966 (when the LA engine was introduced).

“........Center line: In that #1 picture you posted the chamber looks like a latter model? higher compression bigger bore modified poly head? Milled with a lot bigger valves? Earlier head chambers where deeper and didn't have the compression pad coming into chamber, that picture makes it look a lot more like a wedge shape !.....”

This is a picture of an as removed 354 Poly head, very much like the one Centerline posted. As shown his description of a “......combustion chamber which is basically a canted valve modified wedge design……” is not entirely inaccurate.

Not trying to throw stones, just clarify a few thing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.