Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 57 ford /gm 605 p/s wanders bad
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaws 57

57 Ranchwagon 351w-aod ,p/s kit by GEARHEADS CRUIZER . Car wanders bad front end has new ball joints,BF T/A.Alined by good FEnd shop.No responce off center,won't return to center,hard to keep in lane at speed.Part of kit was presure control valve.Turned down for less asist drives better around town.Locks up on left turn,prety sure gearbox at fault.Vendor woun't respond to my calls or emails.Can any one give me some ideas?/Help tom
This is the GEARHEADS 605 Conversion Box the gentleman is describing allows one to install integral power steering on an early FORD that used the Saginaw external assist before. I have heard of another complaint but the poster would not go into detail.

Before you blame the box, I would check idler arm bearings (these are a pain and many use later arms with integral brngs) and maybe double check caster settings.

You may want to disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm to check for any binding in the box itself. Did they recommend a Saginaw pump or just the adjustment valve?

Did you perform the required 58 steering column upgrade?

You may have to go so far as to follow the procedure outlined in a shop manual as to mounting special pressure gauges to the system to see if the hydraulics are working properly.

Their not responding has me worried as a friend wants this conversion on his CUSTOM 300.

Please keep us informed.