57 ford /gm 605 p/s wanders bad - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

Wiki Edits: 0

how many victims ?

At first I belived that my box was out of the norm.Not now. I think Frank reads this thread,so,do you have the stones to stand up for yourself? The world waits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM

605 Box

I can tell you why your boxes are binding . They weld a 605 box onto the cut off lower section of a 1959-1964 ford box . They are using both bearings on the sector shaft (the one from the 605 box and the one from the old ford box) when they weld the two half's together and don't get them perfectly square the sector shaft will bind . Now add heat and the sector shaft will really bind causing a lock up ,this is why a P/S cooler helps .

There is a slight float in the 605 box when driving ,this is from the gear mesh from the non P/S sector shaft gear and the 605 rack gear . There is a break in period for this of about 500 miles or so then the box needs to be re adjusted and the float goes away.

The 605 box is not a bad box in itself . I have built 605 boxes for 57-59 fords and still have one in my 58 ford (6yrs) with No cooler and using the 58 eaton P/S pump ,I have never had a problem. No I don't make 605 boxes any more. There are better boxes out in the world and thats what I am working on now.
Good luck
dgasman
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM

thanks

Driving for 500 miles would have been UNSAFE. i CAN POST PICTURES OF SECTOR SHAFT TEETH.jR HIGH SHOP WORKMANSHIP AT BEST.All and all a piece of junk for $1196.00.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:08 PM

I know how you sector shaft looks . They use a used sector shaft and cut off one tooth from each end . the sector they use originally had five teeth and now has three. I used to use a new sector shaft made for 605 conversions not a used one and that makes all the difference in the word.
I agree with you about the safety of it . Binding and outright slop in the steering is not Safe.

I looked into their product for power steering and thought it was to expensive so I looked into making my own . This is how I got started . The box on my 58 is still my prototype box . I tested it for about a year before I even thought about trying to sell any . I am always looking for the perfect power steering for these old fords and I think I found it . I have my new prototype box ready to install on my 58 for testing . This box has NO WELDED PARTS and is a bolt on
dgasman
Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 PM

good luck

Sounds like you are on your way to getting it right,thanks for input.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 AM

in a 55

I put a saganaw box in my 55 (from 78 Merc wagon). Wandered bad like you all's. Adjusted and tweeked... still wandering. Sent off to those guys in El Monte and Voila! fixed. I had used the column and box from the merc (Tilt, wheeee). Was going to get the Wurthit system (boy do we wish them well) but now my ford is fine. I know the rack is better, but I am happy with my "original saganaw" hosed up to a 5.0 with stock ps pump.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 PM

thanks

The focus so far has been modified boxes by GEARHEADS CRUZIER SERVICE.Was your box from them? By the way what kind of gm 605 came out of a 78 merk???
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM

my saganaw

I know is sounds different... out of a Merc, It was a wagon...not sure if it was a 605. It just was worn out as it came from a junkyard car with lotttttsss of miles... anxious to get it rolling. The rebuild was around a hundred and it works great...

I just can't figure out why a company would sell stuff that is apparently not working well and seems to be a safety problem...and then not try and be helpful! Gearheads should be ashamed. As for me, I am amazed at your odyssey here.

Oh...you are not the first to be surprised by that box in a FoMoCo... I guess I was and then lots of others... no knowledge of why.

Best O
Old 06-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Sacred Steel

Last journal entry: The dash
Last photo:

There are tons of modified 605's out there from various people modifying them especially for the 55-57 Chevy's with no problems. As a matter of fact, I have talked to a lot of people with the modified 605's in their tri-fives and they like them. Why Gearheads can't get it right is beyond me. It'd not rocket science.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Hello!

We installed a Gearheads system on our 1962 Galaxie, and we must be one of the luckier ones. It's not completely without issue, but here's what we did...

Immediatly after install, the car went to the alignment shop. We have all new suspension parts. We're running a Saginaw pump and a Hydratech Hydroboost on the car.

We did not have any of the binding issues mentioned here, but the car did experience some wandering. After a couple hundred miles of use, we re-adjusted the box and it seems to have helped. It still needs frequent correction when going down the road. I initially chalked it up to the 235/55/ZR16 BFGs on the front of the car wanting to follow the road, but it seems that the box may be the culprit.

- Kevin Oeste
Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM

happy for you

Wish I could say the same !Perhaps GEARHEADS CRUSIER PRODUCTS are being more carefull with such an important part. I saw no such interest.I wonder what will happen in hot weather? Thanks ,please update.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM

Oh, it's been in HOT weather. 95+ degrees with no binding. Maybe they made sure we got a "good" one because we're a media company. At any rate, it does still have the wander.

- KO
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM

I used to have a front end shop and still do rods and custom suspension mods.
No doubt there is a box problem.
Alignment gets a lot of blame for the rear end wandering. You'd be suprised how much a rear end with rubber bushing flexes and steers a car.
I suggest installing urethane bushings in the rear to prevent wandering. r

You'd also be suprised how much a panhard bar helps a leaf spring car.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 PM

media

I bought this kit after reading about company in a major mag.I also went too sites like yours,got burned bad. I hope you tell it like it is!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Good idea - we'll post a follow up video blog on how it all came out.

- KO

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.