57 Headliner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

57 Headliner

I am getting ready to install a new headliner in my 57 150 2dr post sedan. I will be replacing (actually installing) new windlace as well. I have done lots of research on this, but need a few more peaces of the puzzle answered. What staple or tacks is everyone talking about? I need to get these to do it. If I need to how hard is it to install the rear sailboard and the post boards. Is there any special tricks to it? One last question, can I add visors to a 150 that did not originally have them? I still have the original (quite ugly) cloth headliner in it and can't tell if it has mounts for them.

Thanks Travis Byrne

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Personally---I would get someone to install the headliner. They will have the staples. From what I understand, a hand stapler will not get it.
You will need to make sure that your tack-strips are in good usable condition. If not, an upholstery supply will have a 'plastic' version of the cardboard strips originally installed. These come in 2 sizes---thick and thin---you will need some of both. This what the headliner is tacked to at the windshield and backlite. The windlace is attatched to this strip at the door openings. The windlace is attatched before the headliner.

The sailboards may be attatched with just a bit of cement and held in place with window trim (cannot be sure--the 59 elky has no sailboards)

With the proper sunvisor mount, you will be able to install a visor. All the holes should be in the front roof framework. (My parts 59 had no visor, but all holes were already in the roof.) You can locate the holes by feel after the headliner is installed.

Bryan
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Oh---BTW
When removing the original headliner------just go ahead and cut it above the doors. it is held in place with a flimsy retainer that screws to the roof.
Much better to cut--then remove the retainer to pull loose, than to just rip it out destroying the retainer.

retainer----thin metal strip with V shaped teeth punched in it to hold the headliner in place.

Bryan
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I use 5/16" stainless steel staples and a pneumatic staple gun. Keep the bows in the right order when you put them back in the listings. Make sure you mark the center of the new headliner front to back and tack that in place first. Then pull side to side in the middle, and then do the front of the car. Do the sail panels last. Does this have a package shelf? if so, mark where that sits so you know where to pull and staple or glue the sail panels. There is no magical installation tip, you just have to have a feel for it. Do NOT cut off any excess material until you are absolutely sure. When you take the old headliner down you should see the mounting holes for sun visors if there are any. If the holes are there, adding sun visors is no problem. Buy the sunvisors and make sure the holes match up before you put in the headliner. If the tacking strips around the doors need replacing, I glue layers of black waterboard together until I have the right thickness and then cut strips of that to width with a utility knife. This stuff takes a staple very well. Bryan is right, cut the old headliner above the doors and you can unscrew the retainer. All you need to do is slice it front to rear right above the windlace to find the screws. Remember: There is nothing uglier than a bad job on a headliner. If you're not sure you can do this , get a pro to do it.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-29-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 AM

Thanks for all of the advise. One last question doe anyone have a copy of the tech book for 55-57 chevy cars offered by classicchevy.com? If they do would you be willing to scan and e-mail me a copy of the Custom interior installation chapter? I am on a budget working on my car for the summer and spending $120.00 + shipping will take away from other things.

Thanks Travis Byrne

atbyrne@hughes.net

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.