57 Olds disks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

57 Olds disks

Anybody ever do a front disk swap on a 57 Olds? I can't find a kit for it. Am I just looking in the wrong places? I could build adapters if someone knows wich rotors will fit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 02:02 PM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

55 - 57 Chevrolets use 72 Chevelle rotors. Doesn't mean much for your application, but the spindles might be close enough that you can use them with little to no modification.

You could pick them up cheap in a junkyard to see for yourself. Barring that, you may be stuck replacing the entire spindle piece with something that can attach to your ball joints with the correct steering setup (front/rear).
Old 11-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Brakes

Did you try WWW.MPBRAKES.COM?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:41 PM

Front kit for 55 Olds - may be similar

I just bought and am installing this kit on the front of my 55 olds - got another kit from someone else for the rear.

The front kit is complete turnkey if you want, or buy the parts. I ran down to Kugel and picked up a brake pedal assembly.

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/index...ROD&ProdID=498

It's a nice kit - because of the weight the bearings got bounced out of their boxes in transit - no damage, but just out of the boxes - since they are standard parts it wasnt a big deal to get others. If I were to do it again I would just buy the brackets from them and source the other parts locally. I have a complete list of the components.

I don't recall how different the 57 hub was from the 55.

The rear kit I bought was less turnkey - had to buy just the brackets and then weld them to fit - found calipers and rotors locally.

Good idea, Master Power may be another source too. They didn't have a solution for my application at the time. I have used their kits in my chevy's. Another source would be CPP - they seem to do a number of kits.

I think the spindle is going to be the gotcha here.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:53 PM

Kurt, I'm right in the middle of doing a conversion on my 57 Buick. There is a guy in Nevada that is making hardware to mount mid 70's calipers on pickup,5on5 rotors. He sends a list of the parts you need for the conversion. He has a 57 olds. himself.Found him on buick sites and in Hemmings. Don't have his phone # infront of me but could get it later if your interested. The brackets bolt on very nicely, and rotors and new bearings fit with no modification.I am sorting out a new booster and master cylinder right now. Mine are on the firewall in a Buick now,where your's are under floor so youhave to set up a new pedal assembly ,which he gives part #'s for. Jim
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 PM

More info

Jim, Sounds like your source has it a bit more together.

The guy I got my bracket from sent it in 2 parts to weld to fit - no big deal. I had to grind some off the spindle bracket to clear a bolt - no real modification - on my 55 - but other than that it was slick. I used a Kugel components brake pedal that mounted to the firewall plate he included with the booster.

You should be able to use Federal Mogul 8871 and A-3 bearings/seals with a standard rotor. I used a Napa 85537 rotor / Bendix 141043. Not sure what the caliper is from but the part number is 5474176 - anyone got an idea what this is for let me know - I want it for my reference. Once again, the handy NAPA parts brought me hoses #H97664 and HELP bolt number 13935.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked out the streetrod garage site. Thanks brad. Jcarter if you could get that # it would be great.
I haven't looked at the car yet, it's coming in next week. I can at least do some homework on it now. Thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 AM

Kurt, The guy's name is Mike Pemberton cell# 510-501-6299. Email mpemberton@charter.net. I think this is the same guy that Brad got his front kit from. I just got the brakets and got thie other stuff locally.He supplies a list of the components that you will need and a couple of pics. of the brackets mounted to the spindles. You have to grind a bit of the spindle to get the new braket to center the caliper on the rotor. this is just the bak edge where the drum backing plate attached so nothing is weakened.Spending a little time doing this part right is important. You do have to weld the brackets together on each side after they have been fitted. I used Napa 86004 rotors and standard bearings and seal interchange. The calipers are pre 78 to fit 12" rotors.Ihad to clean them up a bit to fit the brakets.My 57 has firewall mounted m.c. and booster, so I didn't have to set up a pedal. I am using an 8" booster from an S10 (no room for anything bigger becauseof the hood hinge) with a 90 chevy ex.cab pickup master which is bigger than the S10 . I posted questions about master cylinders a few days ago on this board. Hope this helps some Jim.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:50 PM

Talked to Mike this morning. Parts are on their way. Great guy, if anyone is looking for oddball conversions give this guy a call. It is the same guy for both sets of parts that were mentioned here. Mike is the builder, streetrod garage is a dealer. Thanks for your help.
Kurt

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.