57 p.u. hood hinges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 57 p.u. hood hinges

Bullheimer, or anyone out there. The hood on my 57 p.u. will not sit flat at the windsheild. I have installed new springs and tried adjusting it. A guy that i met while getting gas , told me he had to cut coils off of his hood spring, and re curve it. But what is causing it not to fit? Do i need to replace the hood mounts? Is it possible that the Hood brackets are sprung ? There is no way to adjust it out.What do you think?
Thanks! Slider in Wa.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Many older brackets and springs do this, the two main causes are weak springs, or weak hinges/brackets. Over time the hood hinges will start to give in to the springs causing the rear of the hood to sit up farther because either the spring is to weak to hold it down or the hinges are to warn to keep the strenth of the springs in check. Once hinges get older they weaken and the pivot points round out causing this. The guy you met at the gas stantion had weak hinges so by cutting the coil it decreased the amount of pressure put on the hinge at the closed position. The cutting coils is a cheaper way than getting new hinges, but I've found you can replace the coils by gas struts like on a new hatchback. Either in place of the coils or or on the exsterior of the hinge mounted to the hood. that gas struts will aid in the lifting of the hood just as the springs did but without the pressure of the springs in the close position eliminated the high rear of the hood. Also the gas struts will eliminate the need for a hood prop in turn increasing working space under the hood.

HK
Old 10-04-2002, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Dang! Learned something else on here today! Thanks HK I was having the same problem with my '49 Chevy when I was mocking the body up at the first of summer. Havent thought much more about thought I would kill the bird when I got to it. Gas struts sounds like a good idea easier to install then those spring hinges. Cool man!! :p
Old 10-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Too Cool!!!
Slider in Wa.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:22 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

hood, you're asking me? first thing you need to realize about our trucks, is that the factory tolerances for seams between parts are a total joke. a quarter of an inch gap is acceptable in places especially the hood!. and even seams? yeah good luck. mine are really close around the doors and cab, but my hood has (had) "huge" gaps between the fenders and hood, as do most. your hood should go almost all the way down at the rear tho. the hood weighs a ton too, so i dont know about those hatch back hinges. i think the easiest way to go would be to elongate the holes in the hinge on the firewall side so it will slide down lower.sometimes there are shims between the hinge and the hood. remove any of these. if you can push your hood down where it belongs at the present point then maybe cutting the springs would work, but then you have to bend the last coil out 90 degrees to fit the spring, i'm sure a great hardware store like Hardware Sales in Bellingham will have new springs. i'll tell you, this hood seam was a real pain in the asteroid whenever i delt with it. even in pictures of show trucks you can see that this seam is a monster. but that has nothing to do with your question.

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>
Old 10-10-2002, 03:51 PM

You guys are great........NOW I know why there are two really strong long springs from the rear of the hinges down to the bottom of the firewall on the kid's new 68 Chev pickup.

The hinges are junk and as we go through things they are on the to-do list. Have to say this. The old owner was ingenius.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.