58-60's corvette - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

58-60's corvette

Hi guys!

I live in hungary, but since I lived in the US, i'm deeply in love with the 58-60's
corvette. I'm planning to built a car, but I don't like fiberglass bodies. I was looking through the web, but didn't find anybody, who can manufacture an aluminium body for that type! (there is a company, who manufactures aluminium bodys for cobras and a couple more)
If somebody knows anybody who can help me in this please contact me!
If there is an original body in good condition, I'm also interested in it!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 02:57 PM

Last journal entry: Stripping Paint + Buying New Metal
Last photo:

i dont mean to be the end-all negative voice in your quest for the aluminum vette but i honestly have never even heard of it before ever...as i understand it...the whole thing with the vette is that it IS all fiberglass....
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM

?

I don't mean to be.... whatever either, but what the hell are you talking about?
I do think, but correct me if I am wrong, these cars were originally had steel bodies. I would have been pretty hard to produce a fiberglass body in 58-60, don't you think? They not even invented the stuff! So the reason I wouldn't like fiberglass, is it is a pain in the *** to fix it, if anything happens, plus most of the factories makes full bodys, so if I wreck the baby.....
The thing is, that for a couple cars, like cobra, or willys it is possible to get an aluminium body, because they produce much larger quantities of it, than from a "vette, so they can afford to spend more money on producing machines (sorry, I didn't know hot to say this, I hope it is uderstandable!).
Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Last journal entry: Dave's SS 396
Last photo:

aluminum corvettes

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, although a 60's vintage corvette would be unique, were not made out of aluminum. Obviously you have internet access. Go to Wikipedia.com and type in Chevy Corvette, you'll get the whole history of the car. From 1953 to the present.

Sorry
Old 06-26-2007, 04:02 PM

?

Sorry, I don't have the nerves to find it out, but one thing I know for sure, the fiberglass was invented in the late 70's, so it is impossible that they used that for car bodies. It had to be metal of some kind, because they only had materials like bakelit, and other hard plastics in those days. Probably not aluminium, cause they started to use it for car bodies only in the 70's. But if it's possible to produce car bodies from '32 from aluminium, than it sure is possible, just probably expensive!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberglass
Fiberglass was invented in 1938, so yes it was around when the vette came into production

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C1
"The outer body was made out of a revolutionary new composite material called fiberglass, selected in part because of limiting steel quotas left over from the Korean War"
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM

My bad! Hey...f**k me! People learn new things all the time
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

no worries, my father used to say you should learn atleast one new thing every day
As far as finding an aluminum body for one i have no idea, hopefully someone can give you some direction on that
Old 06-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

CS,

They be right!

ALL (starting with the first one in 1953) CORVETTES have been fiberglass bodied.

As a matter of fact the first few had to be hand-pushed off the assembly lines because they would not start due to electrical grounding problems!

texastomeh
Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 PM
boatbob2

58 to 60 corvettes

hi,ALL corvettes have been made out of fiberglass from the factory. its possible that an aluminum corvette COULD have been made by a custom shop,for example :marcels metal fabricating,in california. but,the price would be astronomical . it is MY understanding that fiberglass was first made by the germans during WW2. BTW,i can repair a 2ft X2 ft hole in fiberglass while you are trying to find someone to repair your aluminum corvette !!! (if you can find someone to build it,and again if you could afford to have it built)

Last edited by boatbob2; 06-27-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2007, 03:36 PM

:)

Thanks for the infos, guys!
But give me a break! I'm only a poor europian guy, hwo doesn't know a lot about american car history...
And of course we checked the infos on fiberglass, and yes it was invented in the late 30's!
So thanks again!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Hang in there CS!!

We (at least I am) are just having a little fun at your expense!

One thing that I have learned over the years on this forum is that it is the BEST, MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE, HELPFUL bunch of guys that you will find ANYWHERE. HOWEVER (comma) they can also seem MERCILESS at times. It is nothing personal, ethnic, religious, sexist or any of the other biases. It is just that if you "goof", they can be like a bunch of playful and fun-loving sharks in a feeding frenzy. I speak from experience and have the bite marks to prove it!

But remember that it is ALL in the spirit of camaraderie and to quote/paraphrase one of the guys bylines; "If you ain't making mistakes, you ain't trying!".

texastomeh
Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM

You said so! I was trying, and I found some interesting stuff! (I hope I can find it again!)
There are CARBON FIBER bodies for 63 split window vettes! And they are working on a '57!
Say hello for space age!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=1358&mforum=spi

The above is the first 67 body made by a Washington state company that fits a newer Vette frame.

There is also a company in Michigan I was in a month ago and they produce a 62 body, believe its called Downs Manufacturing, they also make some challenger and Cuda bodies that I saw when there.

If you do want aluminum body made (money talks and BS walks) there are about a dozen people in the US that can make it for you and one is Randy Ferguson (do a search) he is good but not cheap.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Yes, I've heard about Downs, they make some really nice cars, the last one I found is a '59, in the Kitcarmag!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.