59 caddy tails in s10 roll pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 PM
goth_rod87

Wiki Edits: 0

59 caddy tails in s10 roll pan

Hi all...ive been day dreaming of building a new ride...i was thinking a ****** mod to a minitruck would be frenching six 59 caddy bullet tails lights into a rollpan would be sick...any idea how to pull something like this off?
Thanks,
GOTH

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
“Basics of Basics” Frenching (sunken) antenna
By Brian Martin

One of the classic custom body modifications, the frenched or “sunken” antenna. I have always like the frenched antenna look. One of my favorites is on a ’59 Chevy where the antenna is sunken in the quarter below the fin and then it runs through a hole you put in the fin up into the sky, cool, very cool. You can put them vertical, leaning or even horizontal.

Find where you would like to put your frenched antenna. Make sure that your antenna base (be it power or manual) is going to clear everything on the inside of the panel.

The next thing is to take a marker pen and put a line down the outside of the tube over the seam. Most all tubes (unless they are seamless) are going to have a seam that you don’t want to be seen. Make the tube where it is and that way as you set up the tube you keep that on the outside of the hole and unseen, or at least nearly unseen. If you ignore this, you will end up with the tube welded in and the darn seam right in front of your face and you will have to grind it off or fill it with polyester putty or something. Doing “body work” inside of a 1 ½” tube is not fun.

Mark a round hole the same size as your tubing you are going to use (I prefer 1 ½”). Cut the hole and stick the tube through it. You then lean the tube in the direction you want to go and start trimming the hole out on each side so it will lean up right. Trim more and more but only a little at a time. Let’s say you want to make it perfectly straight up. One way would be to hang a string from something above the car with a weight on it next to your work area. There is your perfect vertical line to aid in making your antenna straight. Now, I don’t recommend you making it perfectly straight, it will have the illusion of leaning forward, tilt it back just a hair.

Once you have the hole cut out into the oval so the tube stands up straight, mark the tube around that edge of the hole so you can cut it.

Along the way or now you can put the bottom of the tube. I have found a very cool way to accomplish this. I use a deep freeze plug in the exact size as the tube. It has a nice radius on the end and looks very nice. Just fit the freeze plug up to the end of the tube and put a nice weld around the seam, that is all there is to it. All you need is to drill a hole on the bottom for the antenna. Of course a drain is highly recommended. If the antenna is going somewhere that water won’t hurt then just drill a little hole on the bottom of the freeze plug next to the antenna. If it is in a place where you need to contain the water, just tack weld a tube on the hole and put a rubber hose exiting out the bottom of the panel to drain the water. At the top where you tack welded the tube put same seam sealer so it doesn’t leak.

At the top of the tube, place it up into the hole from underneath and tack weld it. Making sure that it is still in the angle you want, tack weld around the edge a little at a time until it is fully welded. If you do this carefully, you will only need a little grinding or filing for near perfection. At the very least, a little plastic body filler will do the trick.

Tips on cutting out the hole. You could use a die grinder with a carbide tip cutter, a rat tail file, or sometimes even tin snips. I highly recommend getting two pairs of nice high quality tin snips if you are going to be doing any work like this. Wiss makes some of the best. Forget the yellow handled ones, they are for straight cuts only and to tell you the truth, I never even use mine. The red and green “right and left” handed ones are the way to go. They are not for left and right handed people, nor are they for only left and right handed turns. They are for when you are cutting on the left or right hand side of the metal. They will make a perfect straight line, better than the “straight” cutters. I’m sure I am missing something with those straight cutters but they just don’t do the job for me. The die grinder or file is really the best way to go, nice and slow so you don’t cut too much.

Anyway, have fun and be careful.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
My computer took a dump after I posted the previous post last night and I was unable to explain myself and post drawings explaining the post.

This explaination on tunneling an antenna is the exact same procedure as you you would use tunneling the round 59 Cad tail lamps. The only difference being of course that instead of using a level to get the pipe vertial you would use a square to get the pipe horizontal.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.