Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 59 chev alignment
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tony @ air ride e-mailed me and told me he was baffled.

Personally I think the pics I sent him this week showed what my issue was

The pic here is of my stock control arm on top of the tube arm.
it seems obvious to me that the ball joint spot is negative camber (ed) and neg caster (ed). This is the right hand arm and to get pos camber, the control arm shaft is shimmed to the inside of the car.

I have given some serious thought to returning to the stock arms. However, with the 454 there is only about 3/8" or ledss clearance between the front of the arm and the header @ the #1 exhaust port. If my next alignment trip does not make me happy, I will probably put the old arms back in...Just not too keen on the idea of changing a bushing every 6mo due to heat deterioration.

The car in question is the one in my avatar--there is absolutely no rake to it at all (well--maybe 1/4" front to rear at the rockers).
The T/A radials are actually about 5 years old so I am not sure if they fall into that catagory of crappy tires or not. Before I disassembled the car-it drove just fine--but it now has a different frame and has been lowered with spindles.
The front springs are new TRW 6004 (heaviest spring for this app.) and the rear are old sagging original 6cyl belair springs (gave me the height I was looking for)

I had never thought that the rear may be an issue, perhaps it is something i should look into. All bushings and shocks are new. This was a body off project.

Thanks for listening
Bryan

That ruler stayed in the same place on all pics---(i marked the floor) passenger side of car is level at rocker---ruler is at a 90*angle to the car (plumb)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chev arm ontop StrongArm.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	13388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeup.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	13389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	13390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	13391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	13392  

Last edited by Bryan59EC; 07-14-2006 at 01:35 PM.