'59 Chev Truck, converting to front discs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'59 Chev Truck, converting to front discs

I don't have any experience regarding modifying brake systems, so bear with me. I want to change the front brakes on my '59 Apache to manual discs. Changing to 5-lug would give me a lot more wheel choices, and I'm tired of messing with the adjustment on the stock drums. I want to run my ideas across the board here and see if you folks see anything wrong with what I'm wanting to do, since I'm a little clueless here. I am looking at a conversion kit from Classic Performance Products, part number 4759WBK5 (includes rotors, calipers, brackets, bearing adapters, bearings & seals, spindle nuts & washers, dust caps, banjo bolts, brake hoses, hardware & spacers.) There is also a kit for these trucks to convert to a "corvette-style" dual master cylinder. So, can I use that CPP disc conversion kit in combination with a dual master cylinder with a disc/drum proportioning valve, hook up all the lines and have it work properly? I hope this makes sense, I will be glad to clarify because I look forward to getting this straightened out.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Brake Kit

Yes, it will work. Power brake conversion might be a better idea.Nolan
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Matt Most of the disc brake kits use your existing hubs.Changing to 5 lug will cost you more.You will have to order hubs as well and I don't know who makes them so you may have to do some searching to find some.If you change the front hubs to 5 lug you will need to change your rearend as well.Six lug is so common You should be able to get about any style rim in a 6 lug pattern.I agree with OLNOLAN the power brakes are the way to go.I love my power front disc brakes and the kit was an easy install.Brothers trucks and cpp both have tech articles you should see before you order your parts to make sure this is a project you can do

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 06-24-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys. I am doing some research on my own in addition to asking here. I was just brainstorming and came up with the setup that I mentioned and was wondering what others' opinions would be. I know that power brakes would be a big upgrade, but that's also a bigger chunk of money, and since I'm a full time student I am always on a very tight budget. DD you're right about six lug bolt patterns being very common but I would love to have a set of satin American Racing 5-spokes or something similar. I get a lot of ideas and inspiration from old drag cars, like the Two-Lane Blacktop '55 for example. Plus, last weekend I was at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY and there were plenty of my kind of cars there . I'm pretty sure I can handle doing a conversion like this, I'm just making sure my understanding is correct as I put together my options.

Thanks!
-Matt
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A common modification is to simply pull the rear axles and remove the lugs. Have the flanges re drilled for the 5-lug pattern of your choice.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
A common modification is to simply pull the rear axles and remove the lugs. Have the flanges re drilled for the 5-lug pattern of your choice.

You'd have to have the drums re-drilled too. For what my local machine shop would charge to do all that I could buy a Camaro rear . In fact, I bet if a guy looked around you could find a peg leg with highway gears for free or nearly.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks for the opinions guys. I've heard of redrilling axle flanges before. I am actually going to school right now taking welding and machining. If I decide to go that route, with some good layout work I could probably redrill the drums myself pretty easily. We may not have a machine that'll hold the axleshafts for drilling though. I've got a fat 5-lug 10-bolt axle from a '73-or-so Caprice station wagon that I've been meaning to tear down, so there's another possibility.

Thanks again.
-Matt

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.