Hot Rod Forum banner

59 chevy pickup add a leaf

844 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  bo's 59 4x4 
#1 ·
First time on the site... Where do I find a site to purchase an "add a leaf" for the rear end of my 59 chevy pickup 1/2 ton. I need to increase it 1" to level out the 4x4 stance. Thanks

#3 ·
Troy, thank you for the reply. I was trying to order on line to avoid having to travel a couple hundred miles to get one done. I do not want to run a bigger spacer then it already has- 2". Do I need to take the truck with me or can I just take the spring pack and go? Thanks again and be safe, Steve

#5 ·
Excellent idea. I will go out to the wrecking yard hopefully this weekend and see what is available. Did you measure each vehicle for the correct width-2" or did you utilize a different width. I know that the earlier pickups were 1 3/4 were as the newer went to 2 1/2". Thanks again for the help. Steve

#6 ·
Hi Steve thats a good idea about the wreckers! l've always had leafs laying around, so never had the problem of looking, but l do go to the spring shop to get them re-arced, if you do have to go to a shop, they will need the width plus lenght and maybe how much lift you want, but let me warn you, you'll always want more lift, its kind of addictive! lol just look a my photos of the K5 and thats street legal for here,but l but the 44's on when l take it out, its pretty much a trailer queen to and from the bog!!! lf you do go higher just remember about your pinion angle, but thats easy to fix with spring wedges! TROY

#7 ·
Troy, again good information. I will post pictures hopefully next week. I included one of when I just purchased it. I do not want to go to high (at least at this time.) It has the stock springs with a 72' Chevy 1/2 ton running gear. They added a 2" block in the rear to help level it out. I just put weld wheels on it with toyos so this lifted it up just a little more. I am needing to put power steering into some day- there is just limited amount of room now that it has a 350 in it. Stay safe, Steve

#8 ·
Troy, a couple things- can not get pictures to download... Sorry. Other question is that I notice that you have a spare tire mounted under your frame. How did you manage this and what did you use for parts? Right now mine is laying in the back of the bed- which I need to remove since I have a box in the front. Do you have a frame gas tank or the original behind the seat- since this might affect where to put the spare tire. It would be more important to move the gas tank then the spare tire. Thanks for your input. Steve

#9 ·
Hi Steve, l believe that you are looking at Doubledick's pic, but if you go to a wreckers you can find the cross member and cable pickup for a tire placement between the frame(chevy s-10), and as far as the gas tank you should be able to find that there to, for inbetween the cab and rearend, just mix and match, l've go a buddy that has replace his tank there and the filler comes up inside the box, he did a good job and looks pretty good! GOOD LUCK TROY!

#10 ·
The wrecking yard I go to has a pile of leaf springs.On my spring stack I measured the first arched spring and tried to find one the same length.The set I took mine off of had three over loads in a set on top of the regular leaf springs.I used the middle spring of those overloads.They had a little more arch to them than my leafs but the bolt pulled them together alright so they bolted right back in.For the under bed tire carrier I used a 87 Nissan unit that I bolted to a piece of 4 inch channel I cut the width of the frame and bolted in on top of the frame.I use the crank rod and handle out of the Nissan to raise or lower the tire.If you want to load pictures you have to resize them first.You can get the program PIX RESIZER for free just Google it.I like it because I drag and drop my pictures I want to post to my desktop then they are easy to find to resize with the program then I just click on apply recommended and it reduces it to a size that hotrodders will accept.Good luck and post pictures.If you go to the Hotrodders lounge and look up the thread "55 to 59 chevy truck owners" you will find a ton of good stuff and good people that will be glad to help.

#13 ·
Thanks Troy, a few more things to do on the outside.... add mirrors- I do not like the stock ones but have to figure out what I want. Coat the bed and add a rubber pad. Now the work begins on the inside- no rust at least. Will send pictures when I get a chance. Thanks again for the information on the tire holder under the vehicle. I am debating how to put a gas tank underneath also. Stay safe. Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.