59 Chevy Pickup Door Skin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 12:23 PM
stayin busy

Wiki Edits: 0

59 Chevy Pickup Door Skin

Hi, got a dilemma here. I welded in a new lower skin on this door. The panel did'nt have any curve to it right out of the box, and I was hoping that when I went to fold the edges around the door frame that this thing would curve right into shape. Well it didnt. It stayed nice and flat. I should have shaped it before I put it on, but instead I got in a big hurry. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for something I can get inside of this door to apply pressure from the inside out or am I going to have to pull it from the outside with a slide hammer? These doors are quite inaccessable from the inside.
Also, this thing is missing the vin plate on the door pillar. Anyone know where I can get one,or is there another location of the vin on these pickups?
Thanks for any tips I can get.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Did you get a replacement door skin or did you make one out of sheet of steel? Regardless, even an experienced metal worker wouldn't try to add that compound curve with the skin on the door. The best way to add a gentle compound curve like that is on an English wheel. assuming you don't have acces to one of those, a hammer and dolly can be used you that is a journeyman's job. I don't think a novice w/ zero sheet metal finishing experience can do it. Do you live in a city with a fairly large JC? If so they just might offer a body shop class where you could learn that skill and get your panel fixed at the same time. Forget the slide hammer. That will only cause you more problems than you already have. Oh, and if it a replacement door skin, send it back and get your money back. It should have the proper compound curve built in.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 PM
stayin busy

Thanks Willys,I was'nt expecting this would be an easy fix. I ordered the door skin through a supplier here in Oregon (The filling station), along with cab corners and rocker panels which fit very well. The door skin however was a different brand than the other patch panels (dont recall the name) and it looked like a cheap product. It was flat and about a 1/4 inch to short from side to side. Being a novice at this I figured I would have to do some mods to it (which I did) and I welded it on anyway,as I didnt want to wait six weeks for another one that might fit better. I did a great job welding it in though I must say. Looks like I'll have to cut it out and get one that fits.
But hey, looking at the bright side it's good practice and I'll know better next time. Like someone else on the site says, "If you dont make mistakes you're not trying"
Old 09-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Or as my favorite philosopher says, "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed!" (Curly Joe Howard)
Old 09-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Kennyb,
the vin number is stamped into the top rail of the frame just in front of the steering box location. If the truck is something you have purchased and have not registered there may be a requirement to check the vin number against the transfered title. If that happens the state my issue a new vin tag which theyu afix to the door piller. This is what happened to me in Washington State.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
stayin busy

Thanks Dbodily, that vin is right where you said it was.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.