Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 59 chevy steering upgrade
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 el camino
My apoligies about "idiot" and "punk" hotrods and hemis. As an old school rodder and builder I took offense to the crack about being cheap and needing another hobby. I was only looking to converse with other old/cheap rodders that may have performed the conversion that I am planning. We used to take pride in our abilities to make do with what we had and could modify for our needs. I still do. I feel that some other members and their father just don't understand what it is to be a hot rodder. BTW, my 59 is a front steer and the information provided,(just to make someone look smart) is completely backward.
BTW mike, ignore the cheap and don't reply . John

Sorry about the "cheap comment. I hear "cheap" way too much in this business, and it usually means that someone wants something for nothing. When you are talking about brakes or steering, it is not ok to be cheap. You can put yourself and others in danger by cheaping out and or not doing your homework about a swap like that. I see the results of "cheap", poorly thought out or just guessed at modifications on an almost daily basis, and it always costs more to fix than the original modification did.

You can't pick who responds to posts in a public forum, but please feel free to ignore my post.
I'll reply for others who may come upon this thread. In your user control panel there is an option that will let you put all of my posts in a special category called "ignore"..Just copy and paste my name in the box and you will not have to see my posts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrodsmike
You may have better luck with a short rack, mounting it in the front. IIRC the 59 is a front steer car to begin with, so there will be less clearance issues with that one.
That was from my first post.
I'm sorry you don't seem to understand what is involved in doing a rack conversion, as all of the information shown to you applies. All you need to do is fill in the blanks with your specific dimensions, directional requirements , and find a rack that fits them with the shaft in a position that will allow clearance past or through your crossmember and will have provisions for mounting that are proximal to your existing structures.
I am also sorry that you are not willing to venture forth on your own with this project, armed with that knowledge.. That is what an old school rodder would do.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. Some of you will understand why I put that quote there.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-28-2008 at 12:49 AM.