Hot Rod Forum banner

'59 Ford Rack and Pinion

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kevkoracing 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on here, but l'll ask anyway. What is the best set-up to use? I've already got the spindles and brakes taken care of ('77 T-bird). Now I need to know which power rack to use. I'll be using a GM type tilt steering column.

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 ·
If using T-bird spindles, use the T-bird rack. It will mate to the GM column since both use 3/4" double D shafts. You might have to take a GM and Ford shaft, pull them apart at the slip joint, and mate them (I did that). The T-bird rack will use a GM PS pump (or Ford). The rack should mount along the plane between the inner pivots of the lower arms to prevent bump steer, and must mount in front of the crossmember. If you need to mount behind the crossmember reverse your spindles (left to right) and use a Taurus rack.

#3 ·
I'm sure that we are on a different page. This is a 1977 t-bird that I'm talking about. This car is the one that I'm robbing the spindles and front brakes from. I know this car did'nt have a rack.

I'd like to know which rack I should use for the conversion.

This conversion is still a rear steer deal. I'd like to know what somebody has already used for this application.

All this is going ona '59 Ford with a front sump 351M/400

I'm sure that out there somewhere, somebody has done the same swap.

#6 ·
Yeah, I missed the 77 part! Steering arms to front, use 80s T-bird rack (or Mustang, or Aerostar van), if steering arms to the rear use an 80s Taurus rack. One thing to note: steering arm length. From center of ball joint to center of tie rod end is only 5" for the R&P. Regualr steering box arms may be as long as 7", which will greatly reduce the turning sicrcle. You may have to cut and weld or bend your arms if they are cast in unison with the spindles. I'm making tubular arms for my car, but the arms bolt off.

#7 ·
The length of the steering arm is one or the reasons I have not chants the Cougar to a rack yet it would increase the radius by about 5 feet. I have found out that a BMW 5 series is supposed to be closer for the Mustangs and Cougars with rear steer. Going to salvage yard labor day weekent to figure it out unless it is still as hot as it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.