59 rambler wagon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

59 rambler wagon

hi just startin 59 rambler american wagon project and i amlooking for info on what frame might fit this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Welcome...There are a number of Rambler guys on here....and I am sure they will all tell you to keep the original suspension.

Budget RVs
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Even the resident frame "swap" (there is no such thing) hater of the site isn't going to say that. The stock suspension on these cars suck. The rear of course is no big deal, just parallal leafs with a solid axle like 99% of rear wheel drive cars. But the front, holy cow that is a mess of a design.

OP, what is your expectations? How much power are you expecting to run? This car is a unibody just like a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. There is no frame there there is certainly no frame that will even come close to going under your Ramber. You could put a decent little motor in this car with a Mustang II front suspension, change the rear axle housing and end up with a VERY cool little car. Even a small horse V8 you could leave the unibody. If you plan on getting a bunch of power to the ground with sticky tires, you could simply tie the car together with underbody links like they make for Camaros and Mustangs and the like to tie the front and the rear together.

So, what are your expectations? By the way if you search this forum for other Ramblers you will find a couple of VERY cool hotrodded ones....and my every day driver stocker. I love driving the little thing every day without a single mod, stock 196 CI flathead. But not everyone wants that.

So what are your expectations?

Brian
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 PM

59 rambler wagon

thanks for info funny you mention 2005 cobalt because i am planning on using 2005 super charged engine around 300 hp
Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

there's a guy who swapped a quad4 into a rambler... he has a thread on here somewhere. See pic of his engine on the quad4 forums.

Since a q4 swap has been done- and supercharged (eaton m21, aka "GM 3800 supercharger"), if I did a quad4 swap, I'd look into individual throttle bodies or some goofy side-draft carb setup.

If you have a rambler engine in there, and it runs, I'm sure there are some things that can be done to get a little extra power out of it- ignition, carb, etc. tricks. I'd do it this way to maintain originality of said vehicle. (I like to maintain the 'character' of an original vehicle while modifying it... unless it's a 'roller' or something where there's more parts needed than parts on it. Then doing something crazy is all fine in my book)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2208.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	60893  
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
there's a guy who swapped a quad4 into a rambler... he has a thread on here somewhere. See pic of his engine on the quad4 forums.

Since a q4 swap has been done- and supercharged (eaton m21, aka "GM 3800 supercharger"), if I did a quad4 swap, I'd look into individual throttle bodies or some goofy side-draft carb setup.

If you have a rambler engine in there, and it runs, I'm sure there are some things that can be done to get a little extra power out of it- ignition, carb, etc. tricks. I'd do it this way to maintain originality of said vehicle. (I like to maintain the 'character' of an original vehicle while modifying it... unless it's a 'roller' or something where there's more parts needed than parts on it. Then doing something crazy is all fine in my book)
They made a two carb head for it, other than that it would be hot rod engineering like headers and such. Even after all that I am sure it won't have a whole lot of oats, but I drive mine for the run of it and don't worry about the lack of power.

Brian
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I'd tell ya to keep the original suspension. It's different, but not a bad design at all. In fact, it's MUCH better than struts (not that it takes much...). The upper trunnion can be a bear to deal with, but not if you know how (drop me an e-mail if you need help there). If they have to be replaced they are expensive, but they can usually be repaired much cheaper. You can't get a lot of caster with it -- it's designed for ZERO degrees caster -- but that's not usually a big deal. Works fine with radials, needs stiffer progressive rate springs to handle well. The old L-head six weighs only 30-40 pounds less than a SBC, so it will take the weight. With a much lighter modern four the stock spring rate may be fine.

The problem is the engine bay is very narrow with those spring towers -- shocks aren't in them -- spring towers, not shock towers! In fact, the "shock towers" in an early Mustang are really spring towers, but I digress...

In order to use a much wider engine you have to get rid of the towers. Best way, IMO, is to whack the whole front of the car off and use an aftermarket Chevy II front clip with MII suspension. Easier said than done, I know, but it really isn't terribly hard. You can cut the "humps" out just above the upper A-arm mounts and gain 3-4 inches on each side up high where it's most needed to clear intakes and such though. If that's all you need to do keep the original suspension.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.