Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 59 Rambler Wagon chassis Swap ?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 11:36 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You didn't learn any of that from someone who knows Ramblers!! You don't need to swap onto a frame -- that's one of the toughest unit bodies ever made, and it will handle a V-8 EASILY, even a big block. The torque tube setup is great, but does have to go for an engine swap other than a GEN-1 AMC V-8. Don't let people who don't know these cars steer you wrong!! The existing front suspension is tough too, it will take a lot of abuse and the trunnion joints are easy to replace. 64-69 American, Javelin, and AMX models used a hard to replace upper trunnion, but the big cars (Classic, Ambassador, big Rambler) used a simpler, easy to work with trunnion joint. The GEN-1 AMC V-8 was about the size and weight of a late model BBC and the suspension worked fine for it, and SBC would be a piece of cake! I'll have to check my books to make sure the crossmember could accept welded on engine mounts -- I seem to recall it's stout enough even though AMC used four corner mounts like a 55-57 Chevy through 1962. If not one of the universal bolt in hot rod or early truck crossmembers work (I know a couple people who've used them).