5984 weiand tunnel ram tuninig information - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

5984 weiand tunnel ram tuninig information

I will be using this manifold on a 327" SBC with 12-1 BRC pistons and a .600 thousanth lift cam, aluminum heads with 2.05 intakes and was interested in what size of carbs and tuning methods ?
I live on Vancouver Island on the West Coast of B.C., Canada. I used to race D-C Modified Production many years ago, so am a little out of touch with these setups. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
I do belong to a Car Club called the Sea Side Cruizers and just had our 20 th anniversary Car this last weekend with about 600 plus cars, which pretty well fill the entire downtown of our lttle community and can be seen at Sea Side Cruizers .com . We did have several cars from all over the U.S.A. and Canada with 575 pre registered cars plus the guys in the club and about 10-15,000 spectaters, was a good show.
I am looking forward to getting my 73 Nova SS out to the track !!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM

I hope the air care issue is finished this year on the mainland. I think I would use 2x 750s. contact paintedjester(user) he likes the 2x4 setups
PM me about the car club?
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
Fast fisherman (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Fast Fisherman, I ran this same manifold for many years with 2 4776 600's. Reworked for 4 corner idle on both carbs. Get the best linkage to actuate them and sync them to each other. Run the same metering blocks front and rear on both carbs. I made sure everything between the 2 carbs were identical as I could make them (channels, bleeds, jetting, blocks, etc...)I ran them inline and sideways, did not matter. I stayed with them sideways, put 1-1 linkage on each carb and split the manifold down the middle with a divider at one time. The throttle response was amazing!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to steeny For This Useful Post:
Fast fisherman (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

use two 750 holley double pumpers or two 750 edelbrock carbs or two of the 660 center squirter holleys.
Any all these will work very well.

Small cfm carbs will restrict the power the tunnel ram can make. If you want horsepower from a tunnel ram use generous carb cfm.

Start by locking out the distributor advance curve to allow locked fixed timing.
A afr gauge is a nice tuning tool to get the jetting right.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 AM

I ran two 600 cfm holleys on our 327 way back in the late 60ts & the early 70s, but the cam was about a .100 thou. less. \the was a 56 chev tudor with 5-38 gears and turned best of 11.1 sec. at 126 mph. with shift points at 8,700 rpm and across the line at 7600 rpm. Back then we were only aloud 7" tires in Modifed production. I'll be running 4.88 gears with 29.5 tall 9 " slicks, but may have to go lower with the .600 " roller cam.
Our Car Club is located in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island and the show is on Fathers Day and is the second biggest show on the island. Check out the web page.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Hey thanks for that info, it's been a while since I raced so want get out and have a little fun before I get to old to enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Fast Fisherman, sounds like the stage I went to next. I ended up running one 7320 Dom. on that same ram with a new top reworked. Ran real strong. I shifted at 7300. Back then I was running a 355, 6" rods, 12.7to1, Lunati 50132 roller and shaft system and a set of heavily modified 492 angle plug over the counter castings. I mean those heads had the sidewalls cut out and remolded with 'glass and epoxy. 10.5 tire, 400 turbo and 4500 stall, 4 link, spool, 4.88 rear, MSD....you get the idea. Everything was patterned after the Grumpy Jenkins school of drag racing a small block chevy. That thing ran very strong in a 3350# car. 10.80's all day and night and that was shifting it @7200-7300. I could feel the engine just plane out around that RPM and would go through the traps around 7500RPM. It was a great combo that I did not have to "jack" with all the time. I figured I was running it at 85% of it's potential but never really pushed it harder because it was about being consistant and going rounds fior me. Ran it for 3 summers with not5hing more than checking valve springs, freshen rings and bearings, do a clean up on valves and seats. Put it back together.........10.80's. That was the goal and it worked!

Last edited by steeny; 06-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

I like the 660 center squirters ( my favorite FBIRD) but the 750 Holley DPs are a real good choice! I hate bumping Heads but I don't like Edelbrocks but that's just me! 600 lift! Whats the duration? If your building High rpm and going to drag it 2 larger carbs may be needed other then what we suggested ( I ran 2 950 3 barrels in 'C' Gas with a high revving 330 ) but 950s aren't a good choice with the new carbs available now LOL On the tall tunnels at the strp I do stagger jetting sometimes to correct a lean cylinder condition with some combos and the Holley or Holley copy cats lend themselves better to that!

I ran B Modified in the late 60s AHRA drag raceing and the rules were you could run anything on or in the engine or any engine from any production vehicle of that manufacturer produced in the years before the car you were running Was produced and weight to cubic inch set the A,B,C,ETC Classes. I also had tire restrictions on width! Every other aspect of the car had to be stock! Heater, spare tire Etc I ran a 409 425 hp dual quad in an early VET cast exhaust it was basically stock class upgraded to a modefied factory production parts class (no headers ,no aftermarket cams, intakes, carbs, pistons ETC, ETC, I never saw a tall tunnel ram in the modified Classes but I did see the factory Cross rams! The tall rams are a different bread then the cross rams LOL!

Hey I heard some ones trying to resurrect the AHRA a few years ago Glade to see an old factory Modified class racer on here I never raced in Canada But a lot of Canadians raced HERE

I'm in for lunch today and not on here much in the Summer months and Fbird is actually one of the best on here when it comes to tall tunnels I can't add to what he tells people It would be just repeating the same answers he gives LOL and Vinnie and Fbird speek the same language as you LOL!!! "AAAA" My wife says that word all the time "AAAA" I worked there for a few years and picked up saying "AAAA" from the area I was in and after 35 yrs I still say it once in a while LOL Just a "Rib" I know most areas of Canada speek better english then we do!

These tunnel ram threads usually turn into the 'street pretenders ' and the "real power builders" facing off I hope your building to put the rubber to the pavement and not just a show cruiser

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 06-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

These tunnel ram threads usually turn into the 'street pretenders ' and the "real power builders" facing off I hope your building to put the rubber to the pavement and not just a show cruiser

Jester[/QUOTE]

Hey Jester, we always placed people in 3 types.....you had the street weenies thinking they had funny cars, the dedicated racer that really had no clue but was out there being serious with either no money and or mechanical/engineering knowledge and then there was a serious, seasoned, knowledgeable racer in all the levels. You could tell all three types within 2 mins of talking or observing them. Seems to me it doesn't matter what sport/hobby one picks to do you can always see the people in this regard.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeny View Post

Jester
Hey Jester, we always placed people in 3 types.....you had the street weenies thinking they had funny cars, the dedicated racer that really had no clue but was out there being serious with either no money and or mechanical/engineering knowledge and then there was a serious, seasoned, knowledgeable racer in all the levels. You could tell all three types within 2 mins of talking or observing them. Seems to me it doesn't matter what sport/hobby one picks to do you can always see the people in this regard.[/QUOTE]

steeny

Glade to meet you I agree Well back to the Garage "lunch is over!" Be back on Latter I hope

Jester
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Hey!!!! good to meet you too!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I came in for Coffee LOL and checked the Threads!

I found the old 60s rules for Modified if any old guys on here are nostalgic for the old Class racing when going faster was what you wanted and not this bracket *&^% where if you go too fast you lose LOL!!!!

Modified Production classes started in 1964. The following is taken from the 1964 NHRA, AHRA rulebook: Heres some basic rules
III. MODIFIED PRODUCTION SECTION:

The Modified Production section is for 'dual-purpose' cars, to fill the gap between Stock automobile and the Gas coupes/sedans. Cars in this section must be capable of being driven on the street. Bodies, engines, drive trains, chassis, etc. may not be altered, modified, or relocated, except as noted in class requirements. Push starts will not be permitted.

BODY: Must have a passenger car body originally produced by an American automobile manufacturer. Moderate customizing is permitted. Bodies may be chopped, channeled or sectioned not more than four (4) inches total height reduction. Rollbar will be required with any of the above modifications. Bodies cannot otherwise be altered in height, width, length or contour. Roll bars are required in all convertibles in A/MP and B/MP. Removal of any body or fender panels or bracing not permitted. Use of fiberglass and/or aluminum not permitted unless originally factory equipped for body used. Production sports cars, pick-ups, Ranchero, El Camino, etc. may compete in this division. All cars in this division must have fully operative mechanical doorhandles to permit exit and/or entrance from either side. Bodies and/or frames may not be raised to gain weight transfer.

ENGINES: Automobile engines required. However, year, make, and model are optional. Engines are limited to two four-barrel, or three two-barrel carburetors maximum. No fuel injection units will be permitted. Any modifications may be made to the engine and/or component parts, including clutch and flywheel. No more than one engine permitted. Engine setback is not allowed. Engine may not be raised. Rear engine location is not permitted in this section unless it is an originally produced/manufactured rear-engine car retaining the original engine.

HOOD: Required on all cars in this section. All carburetors must be covered by the hood, a bubble, or a scoop which must be part of the hood." [QUOTE]

Man!!! It was the best class and the most fun I ever had racing and you drove to the track and back home if you lived close enough I was real close to Detroit Drag way and hit the Dog & Suds on the way home in a drag car It was so cool !!! I'm setting here with a big smile on my face remembering the Modified wars I hope the O.P. doesn't mind a little nostalgia If so Im sorry!

In my other post I was mixing up "Optional Class" and "Modified class" (sorry about that) I ran both classes So excuse the mistake!!!! Thats what happens when you get old LOL

Jester
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Painted JESTER AND Steeny ,good to meet you both! The 56 chev we used to race was street legal with mufflers, but got about 4 miles to the gallon. I'm going to make my 73 Nova SS consistant too, it's not like it used to be when we ran flat out. I have minnie tubbed the wheel wells as with that year the frame rails bowed out so I won't be able to get much more than a 9" tire in there, ford 9" with ladder bars and a 1" slider,turbo 400 with 3500 stall, but would like to go to 4500 stall. I'll have to check on the duration of the cam. I am a machinistand try to do most of the work myself if feasable and I do have both tops for this manifold . How many cfm is that 7320 dominator?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 PM

our 70 nova could fit 29.5x10.5 slicks?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

7320 flows 1150cfm and I will tell you the circuits WILL flow fuel!!!! I agree 29.5-10.5 tire anyway you can 4500stall and the trick is to make it hook. I ran the Lunati 50132 .680 .632 283 291 @.050 106 and 102 intake. Woke up around 4500 was all done by 7500 because of the heads but the pull between was great. I actually staged at 3500, flashed the convertor on leave to close to 4800 on last yellow and it would hit hard on good prepped sticky track. So-so track or high humid day at dew point would spin hard for 100ft sometimes I would have to short shift to sec, no real hook.
The Following User Says Thank You to steeny For This Useful Post:
Fast fisherman (06-21-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.