5L TBI to 5.7 TBI swap headscratch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5L TBI to 5.7 TBI swap headscratch

I just spent the weekend pulling engines and tranny's. As some of you know, I'm swapping a '96 5.7 into a '87 Chev SWB p/u. Am I wasting my time swapping the computer and harness also? The donor is a full size van, and the harnesses are not even close. I was concidering keeping the 4l60E to replace the existing TH350, but am having second thoughts.
What I am wondering now is, can I use the 5L manifold on the 5.7 engine with the 5.7 TBI? If I picked up a used '87 5.7 computer and used it with the existing 5L harness, would that work? All I know is that I'm looking at a mess of wiring that I haven't got a clue about....surely there's a better way. If this gets any more confusing I'm tossing it all and going with a carb.
What do you guys think? I'd like to keep it TBI, but is it really worth it? For that matter, can I even add a cam, headers, a bigger (aftermarket) TBI etc, and still use the factory computer? Help!.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

If you keep the TBI keep the 4l60e. Have you tried calling Painless, Howell engineering or Ron Francis for an after market harness? It might be the easiest way. Otherwise try to take all the wires and computer from the car with the tbi and trans. The dealership or library will have books with the schematics.

You should look at the engine performance charts and the shift rpms of the trans to see if you will gain enough to change the cam and other parts. From the factory tbi engines produce good low end power. Changing all those parts may give you better high rpm HP but will you ever use it if your trans is shifting before you get there? Your computer controls the shifting on that trans.

If you really want to build the engine you need to do the math to make sure you are not wasting your money.

There are places that can burn you a chip to correct fuel management for major component changes. It sounds like trial and error process to me.

Last edited by evltwin; 06-07-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. This all sounds like too much electrical stuff to me. I'm thinking a manual trans and a carb would be best for a guy like me after all.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.