Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

5x120mm wheels on 5x4,75" hub?

82K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jimbobarooni 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are any of you using wheels with metric 5x120 mm bolt patterns on 5x4,75" hubs?

#3 ·
Really? You're talking about 0.025" (that's 25 thousands) of an inch. I'd bet the manufacturer's tolerances are looser than that. I had 114.3mm (4.5") wheels on our '04 CTS (which calls for 115mm) from new to trade-in and non hub-centric at that. No vibrations and nothing ever wore or came apart...

Russ

#10 ·
It will bend the studs just a bit. And studs really don't like that at all. It's like mounting a flat-backed wheel on a hub with tinnerman clips still on. You'll eventually lose one or more studs.

The same goes for 5-114.3 PCD patterns and 5-115 rims. Will it bolt down? Yeah. Will it torque correctly? Nope. Can it fall off? More like will.

#11 ·
Huh? Bend the studs? Hmmm, mine went on with no bending issues (unless I'm of superman strength). Mine always torqued to 100 ft/lbs. And six years with no problems... OP, it's up to you, is it better to listen to experience or believe internet hype from trolls?

Russ

#14 ·
Look, I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, I ran this same setup for 6 years with zero problems. That is considered "real-world experience" where I come from. In all the tire rotations I did (every 6k miles) I never felt any kind of interference while removing and installing these minutely different-sized wheels, nor was there ever an issue with binding while finger tightening them down flush before torquing them. A lot of people also wail about hub-centric rings, which I never opted for either. So, how strange is it that I broke every rule in your book, but have never had a problem? I'd be curious to know exactly how many of these wheels have fallen off. I've been on this planet 60 years (a rodder for 45) and have never heard of a single instance.

I'm offering OP "staleg" 6 years (75k miles) of real world driving experience from my point of view, but all I see on the flip side is pretty much nothing but suppositions...

Russ

#15 ·
Try this real world experience!
1/4 mile bracket car with 2" studs, 9" rearend and some 5x115 charger wheels mounted up. Right rear wheel comes off at a buck ten, takes out the timing lights. After they inspected the studs and the wheel guess who got the bill!
My opinion is things are machined to match up. Close don't count. You take your chances. You've been lucky. Some haven't.
Rant over.
Now back to your regular programming!

#16 ·
That's how I see it. Too many instances where I've seen "close enough" scenarios turn out bad. Spacers reducing the amount of thread engagement, wrong offset causing brake interference, or bolt patterns not matching up. Heck, you know how many Hondas I see come in with acorn lug nuts on their ball seat rims?

I'm not trying to be a jerk either. But it burns me to see so many people offering up bad information, and being pissed when someone comes up and says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.