Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 6 to 12 volt
Thread: 6 to 12 volt
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally posted by rwruther
Here's what I did, and so far it's working fine. I have 12 volt battery which I let power the six volt starter on my 39 Pontiac. I have a 12 volt automotive regulator on the firewall and that's connected to my 12 volt generator, (not alternator). I have the stock gages. Now I figure an amp is an amp, so I hooked my amp gauge in series with my fuse block which supplies all 12 volt stuff. I come out of that to an "In-line Voltage Reducer"! This is a slick thing!

Unlike a big power resistor that drops volts and make heat, which you don't use for anything, this solid state thingie gobbles (almost) NO power at all! Cool a?!

I hooked what ever I wanted to run on six volts to the output of this In-line Voltage Reducer! The thing is usually used for, (and I quote), "incandescent lights, LED lighting, and heating elements". Other interesting data: 7 to 17 volts input, zero to 91 percent of input voltage output, 11 amps current output, no output voltage drift, 5 oz weight, power dissipation 0.038 watts... THATS LOW!

It cost me $53 including shipping. (From Backwoods bla bla bla see below)

What's it called and where do I buy mine?

"In-line Voltage Reducer" Made by "Zane" (DC Power Systems since 1990), 510 Fruitvale Ct#B, Grand Junction, Coloraedo 81504, 970-523-5170, FAX:same number

And you might find a dealer here:
"Backwoods Solar Electric Systems Co., 1395 Rolling Thunder Ridge, Sandpoint, Idaho 83864, 208 263-4290, FAX 208-265-4788

Sure hope this helps, I had a heck of a time digging it out of my files!

R
Can do the same thing with a zener diode from Radio Shack for less than $1!

jaj