6.2 Diesel to 350 swap "Trans" Questions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6.2 Diesel to 350 swap "Trans" Questions?

I have an 83 Chevy Diesel with a TH400 that I'm building a "2 piece rear main" 350 for. My question is, what about the flex plate? I was told I need to change out the Torque converter and governor. However, I'm wondering about the flex plate, because the diesel flex plate is a 138 tooth unit, and from what I've read on here, it's heavily weight balanced for the diesel engine, which means it can't be used. Also, does changing the flex plate mean that I need to install the original 350 starter? Basically, I need to know what flex plate I should purchase that will work on my setup? If anybody can help me out with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

You have to change flexplates because the one bolted to the diesel won't bolt on to your 350 crank.

You match the flexplate to the engine/starter. Then the torque converter only has three options for bolt pattern: small 3-bolt, large 3-bolt, and 6-bolt. A 6-bolt converter can be used on a large 3-bolt flexplate, you'll just only use 3 bolts.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

From what I could find on Summit, all the flex plates that come up for the year of motor I'm using, are 168 tooth. Is this what I'm supposed to use?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Either the 153 or 168 tooth flywheel could be used, but I would get the larger one since it will almost definitely have the large pattern. Many aftermarket flexplates are drilled for both patterns.

Make sure your 350 block has the offset hole drilled for the starter. Large flexplates (168 tooth) use starters with an offset mount pattern. Small flexplates (153 tooth) use starters with an inline bolt pattern.

As long as your engine is mostly stock (low rpm torque) the diesel converter will work fine and give you the most MPG and the least heat. If you have upped the engine's power, I would consider a stock gasoline torque converter since it will stall a touch higher. There was a time that those diesel torque converters were highly prized for swaps into gas trucks, RVs, and heavy cars for their low stall and heat. Put it this way... I paid over $450 for a custom built diesel converter just like yours about 10 years ago.

I'm not sure about the 6.2 TH400s... I don't think they have a vacuum regulator. That will need to be addressed. Try the governor as-is first. If it shifts too early for you, its pretty easy to swap that out later with the transmission still in the truck.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Awesome thanks! That's what I was looking for.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1
From what I could find on Summit, all the flex plates that come up for the year of motor I'm using, are 168 tooth. Is this what I'm supposed to use?
the 168 tooth flexplate will be easier on starting than a 153 tooth.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

motor swap

i dont think a sbc 350 will bolt up to a diesel trans
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Your the first person that's said that. Why wouldn't it? TH400 is the same either way isn't it? The only difference I heard was the torque converter and the governor. The 6.2 liter diesel block is the same as a 350 block? I'm just curious , why?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

I probably shouldn't use the term "the same" when comparing the two, because obviously there are major differences inside and out on the diesel. But as far as bolt patterns go, I pretty sure they are the same.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

as I recall the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel engine share the chevy bell housing bolt pattern and the location of the side mounts on the block are chevy location too.

it has been a few years since I worked on those old diesel engines... correct me if I am wrong
Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

Everything I've read till now says they do. I'm just wondering if knows knows something I don't.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

In 1981 I pulled a sick diesel from a 1980 Chevy P/U and tried to replace it with a 350. It would NOT bolt to the tranny by bolt pattern. I had to rebuild the diesel. Beyond those details, haven't got a clue as to why 30 years later beyond the fact it cost the owner a lot more bucks. B-O-P bolt pattern vs Chevy, perhaps??

Dave W
Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the 5.7 Olds engine block based diesel was another animal and had a few problems. Seems like it was required to pull at least 1 cylinder head for repair on each engine with in 20k miles from new. That was a BOP design bell pattern
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

What transmission was in the 81 truck ? From what I understand, the older trucks had a different transmission than what I'm dealing with. I am dealing with a TH400, and trying to bolt up to a small block. Not only that, but I'm pretty darn sure if, I do have any problems, someone probably makes an adapter. I also have a TH350 that was in the back of the truck when I bought it, but I was told this would not bolt up.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

What is BOP?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.