6-71 or NA advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6-71 or NA advice

So I made the deal, I swapped my Comet for the junk Vette with the blower motor. Here is my dilemma, the motor was put together about 6 years ago, dyno'd, then put on an engine stand in a heated garage. 2 summers ago it was put in the car, the wiring was a disaster so that was cleaned up and the motor was fired. It ran for a few min in my laneway, float sticking issues made us shut it down, then a dead battery prevented a restart and the owner had to go. The car sat with a cover over it, and a seperate cover over the motor, outside in the snow, then in the spring was towed out. Went to its "new" resting place and sat again untouched for the summer and this past winter.
Now its coming back here.
I can install it as it sits in my Monte, run new braided line and hope the Holley red is still OK after 6 years of sitting, hope the motor is OK etc etc, or
I can pull the motor down, sell the blower crap, replace the blower pistons with good forged pistons, install a big solid roller, a VC Jr and and an 850 and shoot for 500hp NA
It has forged internals, VC Jr heads as it sits.
TH400
3500 stall
4.11 gear.
So do I run fuel lines, bolt the thing in and see what I have? Or do I take it apart and redo it, as usual money is an issue, I can sell blower stuff to fund cam and pistons, or I can spend very little and install it with the blower.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

id go blower!!!

if money is an issue why not try to work with what you already have? worst case scenario it comes back out of the car then you can sell and rebuild an n/a motor. plus if i remember from your previous post this was making big power without much boost?

are you racing the monte?

ive never owned a s/c car, but i would love to.
The Following User Says Thank You to clwhoops44 For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Swap

Why not sell the whole thing to somebody that knows how to tune a blown motor? Theres a lot of good parts in there to just tear it down and rebuild. Take the money and build something your more comfortable and can tune within your capabilities. Seems less complicated, anyway Good Luck./
The Following User Says Thank You to BadBehavior For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

I'm not conceremd with the tune aspect of it, its more the fact that its been sitting so long, that's the only thing I'm overly worried about. I wouldn't sell it as it sits, I would keep the blower pistons and cam aside and go turbo at a later date if anything. It had Carb and timing set up with several dyno runs and nobody has touched it since. No racing really, it will see a track a couple times a year, and lots of street miles. I'm going to swap the gears to 3.55 if it stays blown.
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 PM

I would pull the heads and look inside. I would also take the heads apart to check spring pressures.maybe flip over and pull a couple bearing caps( one crank,one rod)If all looks good,it cost you gaskets.The knowledge of whats inside will lower the guesses when you tune,,,,,
regasket the carb and clean any glazing(you would have done that anyways)
afternoons work for piece of peace

go blower,lol
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I would pull the heads and look inside. I would also take the heads apart to check spring pressures.maybe flip over and pull a couple bearing caps( one crank,one rod)If all looks good,it cost you gaskets.The knowledge of whats inside will lower the guesses when you tune,,,,,
regasket the carb and clean any glazing(you would have done that anyways)
afternoons work for piece of peace

go blower,lol
You know what, that makes sense, I'm likely being overly paranoid, I was conceremd about the springs from sitting, and will have them checked, but its a small roller so hopefully they aernt a huge spring. I assume I'm going to have to switch pans anyways from the C3 to a Gbody so will peak at the lower end while im there. Carbs will need cleaning, they were brandnew but the floats were stuck the last time we fired it. Ihad the boost number wrong, it is pullied for 9psi and that's where the dyno runs were done. With 110 and 36* it made its biggest number. Then it was set up with 20* initial and 32* total for 92 where it made 650hp
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM

at 650 hp the torque will be huge by fat.If you get tired of breaking things or buying tires the blower can come off and sold....
then the bad part as your brain contemplates a turbo,,,,,
I watched a bunch of videos today with turbo cars making so much power that they power wheelie about 150' down the track,,,,!!!!
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
at 650 hp the torque will be huge by fat.If you get tired of breaking things or buying tires the blower can come off and sold....
then the bad part as your brain contemplates a turbo,,,,,
I watched a bunch of videos today with turbo cars making so much power that they power wheelie about 150' down the track,,,,!!!!
I spend way way too much time watching turbo car vids, and reading on turboforums,
The bad news is, I think that the wee 7.5 won't live long, even with upgraded axles and posi as it sits. The good news is if I keep the Drag radials aired up it will never hook so maybe that will help driveline longevity.
Anything else I should be looking at from sitting so long? I assume new braided line for fuel? should I bother with a new pump? This one has virtually zero run time on it. Should the trans have anything done to it? It made a couple short drives behind an 850hp BBC and then was bolted to this motor and hasn't moved since.
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM

No, If it has any decent kind of drag radials they hook like crazy. If the rear end won't live with small/ med slicks it won't live much longer with drag radials. Have you watched any 275 tire cars run lately? Unbelievable
The Following User Says Thank You to tresi For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM

just make sure the seals dont leak for the trans,,,
When putting the engine back together slap assembly lube on cam if you can. I used to pour STP in back in the day and or E.O.S. from GM.
Change the oil after a day and have fun.The 7.5 will grenade when you step into it even on a roll
you have a lot of straws and a very small camel
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresi View Post
No, If it has any decent kind of drag radials they hook like crazy. If the rear end won't live with small/ med slicks it won't live much longer with drag radials. Have you watched any 275 tire cars run lately? Unbelievable
It has brand new MT drag radials, 275/60's
But they tend to hook with a combination of a decent burnout and having them aired down. Your right, what some of the turbo guys are doing on small tires is unreal.
The PO had an AFR headed 406 in the car with a T56 and he beat it hard with no breakage. It regularly saw the strip and many third gear burnouts on the street. I'm amazed its lived this long. I will see how gentle I can be until I can afford a 9"
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
just make sure the seals dont leak for the trans,,,
When putting the engine back together slap assembly lube on cam if you can. I used to pour STP in back in the day and or E.O.S. from GM.
Change the oil after a day and have fun.The 7.5 will grenade when you step into it even on a roll
you have a lot of straws and a very small camel
I'm going to talk to my tranny guy tommorow and see what he will charge me to go through the thing and replace seals.
Yah, I don't know how much, if any help the upgraded axles and posi will be.
Thanks for the e.o.s tip for the cam while its apart, I wouldn't have thought of it.
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
id go blower!!!

if money is an issue why not try to work with what you already have? worst case scenario it comes back out of the car then you can sell and rebuild an n/a motor. plus if i remember from your previous post this was making big power without much boost?

are you racing the monte?

ive never owned a s/c car, but i would love to.
I have to agree,all you have to lose is your time to install the engine and firing it up.If it's not OK,just tear it down and rebuild it the way you want.I have been playing with blowers for many years,no racing,just street driving.I have had a 6-71 on my 39 chevy for 35 years,on various small blocks.I have a 4-71 on my freshly built T-bucket.The blower cars are lots of fun to drive. That being said,I also follow NMCA and other drag racing,and the Turbo cars definately make extreme power.If it becomes financially feasable,I plan on replacing the 4-71 with a twin turbo setup on the T-bucket.
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 chev For This Useful Post:
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 chev View Post
I have to agree,all you have to lose is your time to install the engine and firing it up.If it's not OK,just tear it down and rebuild it the way you want.I have been playing with blowers for many years,no racing,just street driving.I have had a 6-71 on my 39 chevy for 35 years,on various small blocks.I have a 4-71 on my freshly built T-bucket.The blower cars are lots of fun to drive. That being said,I also follow NMCA and other drag racing,and the Turbo cars definately make extreme power.If it becomes financially feasable,I plan on replacing the 4-71 with a twin turbo setup on the T-bucket.
And that is the plan next season for sure, I love the antiquated look of the 6-71, and hopefully this season i will get the chassis and rear end sorted out, next year Its a straightforward transition to pull the blower and sell it and the carbs off, add a little money and do a big single and look for a big hp#

I'm trying to decide on the cheapest, smartest route for a fuel system right now. Was going to sump the stock tank, but by the time I buy a sump and have someone weld it in, then run a return line to the top of the tank I'm cheaper to buy a cell and put it in the trunk. I know a couple guys who run a deadhead system with blowers but I'm concerned about reliability given the mileage I will be putting on and when I step up to a turbo I will need a return line regardless.
kdedolph (06-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

New toy arrived. Going to pull it this week or next, get it on a stand, every nut and bolt is crusty and rusty. Going to pull all of them and clean and paint them. Rebuild the carbs, replace vacuum lines, replace plugs, figure out how to change the supercharger oil, replace engine oil. Then install in the Monte and see what I have. Should be entertaining.
kdedolph (06-14-2014)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.