6-71 on sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6-71 on sbc

I want to put a 6-71 on a small block in my 78 firebird. Only problem is whith the accessories. I have the alternator, power steering, and a/c. The a/c will be a kit from vintage air. How do i go about monting all these? The only alternator mount i can find for short water pump (required for the 6-71) is a low mount, butnit says it won't worknwith the factory cross member. Also i can't see how i could possibly fit the a/c compressor on there.
Any guidance on this would be awesome.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I don't have air in my Nova, with Dart Pro-1 heads I was able to use a ZOOPS lower, passenger side alternator bracket, turned upside down, and clearanced for the valve cover lip on the passengers side, mounts pretty low. I braced it off a water pump bolt with the turn-buckle adjuster that came with it. Took a little bit of brain storming, but got it to work.

I do have power steering and used a ZOOPS adjustable lower mount, it aligned fine. I'm using two deep V-Belts on the short pump, clearance is tight, have about 1/2 inch between the V-belts and 8-71 blower belt. I'm in the process of moving and have the car in storage surrounded by furniture, so can't get to it for pictures.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Thanks! That exactly what i was lookimg for
I can kinda see the alternater bracket in your project journal pictures. Your car is freaking sweet!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks, took 4 years to build and paint. I enjoy it more than the Bucket-T but it doesn't like ambient temps over 100, and we've been having lot of that.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

It's got to be a blast to drive. Hows it do in the 1/4?

I've been trying to price out how much it will set me back and i'm ending up with somewhere around $8000 if i were build a 355, does that seem right?
Another thought i was having was to build a low compression forged big block and run it with however much power it will make, then when i have the money i'll put a blower on.
The thing is that i don't have 8 grand to spend at the moment just on the engine but i could put together a big block for a lot less than that. What do you think about this?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

It's hard to beat the power and torque of a 502 bbc crate motor...even the lower performance ones. not only that but they run smooth and are very reliable.

I ran into a guy with a 502 and a 4L-80 trans in his Willys at "back to the 50's" and he said he gets 23 mpg to boot. I can assure you 23 mpg will not come easy on a dual carbed sbc with a 6-71. I have worked all summer on mine to get from 16 mpg to 17 mpg and that is not consistant. All it takes is one time being heavy footed going thru the gears and you can kill off 1 mpg or more.

I have managed to run on 87 for a couple years now but I surely would not recommend it if you are just starting out.

You are close to correct on $8 grand to build a blown sbc. You can spend more. Even at this you will have to be very selective in parts choice.

You should be able to get into a bbc for about 5-6 grand plus a good trans.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I've decided against the big power engine for this build actually. With the car being a unibody the thought of trying to push a lot of power through it is starting to scare me. I'm just going to hop up the current 350 and put a 4 speed in it. Just make it a fun street car. I've always wanted a chevelle so when i finally get one i know what i want to do.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Your picture is one of my favorites also. being a long time Corsair and Bearcat fan where this motor eventually found a home. Affectionately called a "corncob" due to the look of the 4 rows of cylinders. I bet the crew chief just loved the pilots when one came back with a burned piston. haha

I had the fun time of being right next to a Bearcat starting and getting ready for take off. Can you imagin what it was like being 22=23 years old and jumping into one of these and lighting the fire on an R-4360?? It must have been like my first time ride in a nitro funnycar.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I actually got to see one a couple months ago at a museum. Wasn't in running condition but was still cool. Must have been the coolest thing when they were brand new! There was nothing else like it. I've heard it called the corn cob before and i can see why lol, but i usually refer to it as the "wasp major".
Just think, one wrong start and you're stuck swapping out 56 spark plugs! yikes!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Wouldn't it be fun to wheel this one over to your buddy's in a posh neighborhood and start it up???

Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Haha that's just too cool! You don't even have to put it in anything, just having it on a trailer is awesome enough

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.