6" or 8" bench grinder? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6" or 8" bench grinder?

Going to buy a bench grinder and am looking for advice on whether to get a 6" or 8"? Going to be using it for just general use, nothing specific. Are there more accessories (polishing wheels, wire wheels) for one size than the other? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have a couple 6" that I have used for years and am happy with them. If you go larger, be sure to go for horsepower - Nothing worse than a grinding wheel that is constantly stalling. Most are OK, just don't go too cheap and get burned w/ too small a motor. I made a polishing wheel from a 3hp, 3600rpm swimming pool pump motor. Can run 10" buffs on it and HP is not too much - any less and I would be stalling all the time. Also, surface speed of the larger wheel will be higher so can burn cutting blades easier and things get ripped out of your hands more violently and thrown farther than with a 6".

Here is what Harbor Freight offers. Wide range of sizes. HPs look ok. Smaller ones are 3600 rpm, 10" is 1750 rpm.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM

I would suggest you also spring for a full faceshield. The kind you can flip up. You can get them pretty cheap. Don't trust safety glasses! Those little wires off the brush can be quite painful when they fly off and find a home in your eyeball. Been there! And yes, I had on safety glasses.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

best thing to get is 8" and the strongest motor u can fine.
those small hp motors just suck when you put force onto the grinding stones
Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

Another thing to think about is how are you going to use it? Is it going to be a dedicated grinder, or are you also going to use it for a wire brush and/or buffer? Power requirements can make a big difference in these cases because a dedicated wire brush (i.e. two different brushes on one machine) will be easier to stall than a grinder because the grinder wheel(s) acts as a flywheel(s).

I've got an 8" variable speed Delta grinder that does what I need it to, but when I was using it with just the wire wheels I had to have a light touch or I could stop it dead. Now what I have is one side is a dedicated grinder, while the other side is the wire brush or buffer - much better and easier to use. I don't have to worry about stalling it like I used to.

Face shield is a must as well. Nothing like feeling the *wham* of some piece of grit hitting you *just* below the eye, only to find out later that it was a piece of wire from the brush and it is now embedded in the skin like a spear.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.