6 cylinder? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6 cylinder?

Ive got a 67 Mustang that has a straight-6 200 cubic inch engine in it which is just to small... i wanna go up to an 8 but my insurance company said if i do its gonna add like 300 or more to my insurance (ive got way to many speeding tickets) so i wanna know whats the best 6 cylinder ford makes that i could build into a decent streetrod?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Six

You could make the 200 run pretty good with some basics...intake, dual carbs and headers. If you had some head work done and a light cam it could be a little sleeper.

Here's an example...follow this link http://falconperformance.sundog.net/gallery.asp

This is Phil Clements warmed up 200. It has a Clifford dual outlet header, CompCams 260 bumpstick, DuraSpark II conversion, Jacob's Ultra Coil and 8.5mm wires, topped with a Holley-Weber 5200 on a Clifford adapter.

Last edited by Sixpac; 12-20-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:

how exactly do you set up duel carbs? ive seen it done quite a bit but i never really took the time to understand how it worked?

also what would a good carb be? ive still got the stock single chamber on mine...

any suggestions as products that would work good? or even places to check? ive had a difficult time finding parts for my motor which was my original reasoning behind changing it
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

That 6 cyl is good for at least 200HP, and you won't blow it apart. I would go for upgrading the 6, becasue it can give you better low end torque than a v-8, being an inline. Try Dallas Mustangs for parts, they are in Dalla Texas.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:52 PM

You might try the link fordsix.com

I had dual carbs on my truck, but it wsa 230 Chevy six cylinder. It just incolves a dual carb intake (bolt on) and the correct linkage. It is best to match the cam, carb and all together rather than piecmilling it.

I'll send you pics of my six with the dual carbs and also with one 390 Holley four barrel if you want.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnTool
That 6 cyl is good for at least 200HP, and you won't blow it apart. I would go for upgrading the 6, becasue it can give you better low end torque than a v-8, being an inline. Try Dallas Mustangs for parts, they are in Dalla Texas.
do you know if dallas mustang is online at all? im in virginia i cant exactly take a trip to dallas for car parts...
Old 12-20-2005, 10:59 PM

They're online, we buy parts for our 95 GT there al the time. Great quality.

There catalog is easier to follow. They'llsend you one, and then look up your parts online after looking thru the catalog.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:

sixpac id love to see the picture of your carbs.. it might help me understand it better

and im guessing with something like tha tim gonna need something like a cowl induction hood for the extra clearance?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 PM

Not if your intake is side mounted like I think it is....
Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Unkl Bnz

Sent you a private message

Last edited by 357f-150; 12-21-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpac
You could make the 200 run pretty good with some basics...intake, dual carbs and headers. If you had some head work done and a light cam it could be a little sleeper.

Here's an example...follow this link http://falconperformance.sundog.net/gallery.asp

This is Phil Clements warmed up 200. It has a Clifford dual outlet header, CompCams 260 bumpstick, DuraSpark II conversion, Jacob's Ultra Coil and 8.5mm wires, topped with a Holley-Weber 5200 on a Clifford adapter.
thanksa lot... it actually looks like some of those were tri-carbed
Old 12-21-2005, 04:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The '66 up 200 is a rock solid motor, 7 bolt mains and 2 bolts per cap, the problem with the small six, is that it does not breathe well. There is an issue with putting on a intake manifold, that is it has a integral mounted intake manifold ( cast right on head ) so cutting and welding would be nessary, not just a bolt on, but running the Holley/ webber 5200 off a clifford adaptor will work nice but suffer, another option ( though pricey ) is to get an OZ 250 2v head ( which is the aussie version of the 200-250 I6 head, bolts on, removable intake, everything is bolt up ) there are places that sell them on Ebay, or Fordsix is going to be releasing a aluminum head for the motor. a light cam, the OZ head and a set of dual outlet headders ( FSPP has really good prices on them ) and it would be pretty quick, hook up a granada -monarch 4spd ( cheap version of toploader ) and you would have a pretty quick car, and with a set of chambered mufflers, would sound almost like a V8

visit www.tffn.net for other options and also www.fordsix.com
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you have no experience with multi carb setups I would steer you clear on doing it. A 500cfm Holley 2 barrel carb would be plenty on a 200 six. The next best thing you can do for your 200 is to put on a header and run dual exhaust. I would then convert it to electronic ignition off of a mid to late 70's 250 inline six so it has plenty of spark. If you really want to add some Hp and Tq, find a 170 head, install 250 valves, bowl blend it and bolt yourself a 500 cfm Holley on top of it and let it rip.

Last edited by onebadmerc; 12-22-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
If you have no experience with multi carb setups I would steer you clear on doing it. A 500cfm Holley 2 barrel carb would be plenty on a 200 six. The next best thing you can do for your 200 is to put on a header and run dual exhaust. I would then convert it to electronic ignition off of a mid to late 70's 250 inline six so it has plenty of spark. If you really want to add some Hp and Tq, find a 170 head, install 250 valves, bowl blend it and bolt you 500 cfm Holley on top of it and let it rip.
The pertonix ignititor kits do the same thing as the duraspark II electronics, but is easier and cheaper.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Amateur Bodyman

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
If you have no experience with multi carb setups I would steer you clear on doing it. A 500cfm Holley 2 barrel carb would be plenty on a 200 six. The next best thing you can do for your 200 is to put on a header and run dual exhaust. I would then convert it to electronic ignition off of a mid to late 70's 250 inline six so it has plenty of spark. If you really want to add some Hp and Tq, find a 170 head, install 250 valves, bowl blend it and bolt you 500 cfm Holley on top of it and let it rip.
wow i need to work on understand car lingo better... im still slowly learning about motors as i work on mine so i kinda only understood half of the stuff you just said... hahaaa

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.