6 Motorcycle carbs on my Pontiac OHC 6... any ideas? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

one more thing

I have alway`s wanted to put a Holly on my V max

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

done this several times over here, there are no 3 barrel carbs to install on 3 cylinder suzuki forsa (aka geo metro in USA) so we use carbs from motorcycles. ninjas and the like.

no need for balance tubes

must use a pressure regulator set to 1.5 psi

must use the kind of carbs that have a vaccum chamber on top that open the slide under load demand (most sport bike carbs are like that), the linkage goes to the butterfly that's ahead of the slide. they never get over carburated and don't need an acceleration injection pump.

mechanical slide carbs like the ones used in dirt bikes don't work well, you'll get into lots of hesitation problems.

your vaccum booster will work fine connected just to one cylinder.

if it works for the 3 cylinder engines it will work for the I6.

linkage is a pain in the.. you know where.

lots of fabrication time ahead, lots of fun tough.

looks are awsome

performance is great, we race them suzukis.

go for it, you'll love them
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
done this several times over here, there are no 3 barrel carbs to install on 3 cylinder suzuki forsa (aka geo metro in USA) so we use carbs from motorcycles. ninjas and the like.

no need for balance tubes

must use a pressure regulator set to 1.5 psi

must use the kind of carbs that have a vaccum chamber on top that open the slide under load demand (most sport bike carbs are like that), the linkage goes to the butterfly that's ahead of the slide. they never get over carburated and don't need an acceleration injection pump.

mechanical slide carbs like the ones used in dirt bikes don't work well, you'll get into lots of hesitation problems.

your vaccum booster will work fine connected just to one cylinder.

if it works for the 3 cylinder engines it will work for the I6.

linkage is a pain in the.. you know where.

lots of fabrication time ahead, lots of fun tough.

looks are awsome

performance is great, we race them suzukis.

go for it, you'll love them
Augusto I would love to see some pics - if you have any - of those modified three cylinder engines. Sounds wild! What do you race them in?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure if I have some pics at the shop, they are customer's cars I don't own any of them, let me check tomorrow.

we race them in rally circuits.

I did once a toyota supra 5m I6 engine, but I used 3 sidedraft mikuni carbs, those that are very similar to weber units you know? they are another possibility for your I6 project, they are wonderful also, and look sooo racy.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

2x4`s is Back

Hi Augusto

Well here in the states we like are car`s to break loose when we bang GEAR`s .Cv carbs have delayed throtle response .They were designed FOR people that over throttle.And a good turner Knowes how set slide cutaway,what needle taper to use,I could go on and on.But this is about helping the kid.Many idea`s will work.

2x4`s
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Motorcycle carbs

The issue is fuel pressure and vacuum. Four stroke M/C carbs are constant velocity (vacuum operated) with gravity feed fuel flow. The key is to have small individual runners for each carb. This way there is enough vacuum to efficiently operated the fuel flow / airstream of the carb. This is major issue when using CV carbs. They work off vacuum. Long intake runners of small diameter tend to keep flow high which M/C carbs need to work correctly. Another issue is gravity feed fuel flow. M/C carbs will not tolerate high fuel inlet pressure. The rest is simple math. Two stroke M/C carbs are different, they do not use constant velocity because of the self supercharger effect of a two stroke design. You really need to research this subject before trial and error method of development. I agree, yea it would be cool, but is it worth it. It would be easier to make turbocharger set up on a six cylinder with a carb and still have a really KOOL factor. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Studebaker; 02-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

I need to know

Hi Studebaker

Self supercharging.Could you please explain.

2x4`s
Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
boatbob2

hI gUYS.......

Hi,Dont trash talk AUGUSTO,telling him how it CANT WORK,He has already done it,hes pretty sharp..i would listen to him.And he could PROBABLY tell you how to do a V-6,or even a v-8.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM

carbs

Yes, self supercharging. I'll explain in the simplest form I can. Two stroke engines, used in some power equipment, snowmobiles, chainsaws etc, draw air/fuel /oil (fuel mixed with two stroke oil because there is no oil in the crankcase) into the crankcase through a carb and ports, usually by a reed valve or rotary crankcase valve. The fuel oil mixture lubricates the crankshaft and cylinder walls. now, as the piston starts the down stroke the piston moves past the exhaust ports (that are built into the Cyl wall) and then the crankcase is momentarily sealed. The piston continues its down stroke making pressure in the crankcase, this raises crankcase pressure above atmospheric pressure. As the piston reaches BDC it uncovers a slot in the cylinder wall (Port) and the air/fuel/oil mixture that is pressurized in the crankcase is forced into the cylinder. The piston then begins upward travel, compression and ignition at Top dead center (TDC). This is why two stroke engines produce so much power for their size. Yes, by design, they are self supercharging.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,Dont trash talk AUGUSTO,telling him how it CANT WORK,He has already done it,hes pretty sharp..i would listen to him.And he could PROBABLY tell you how to do a V-6,or even a v-8.
thanks Bob, but don't worry, there are people that say it can not work even while they are seeing it working, anyway I'm not here for arguing, as you already said I have made them work and they work great.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
thanks Bob, but don't worry, there are people that say it can not work even while they are seeing it working, anyway I'm not here for arguing, as you already said I have made them work and they work great.
I saw how cheap they go on ebay after finding this thread. It's got my head spinning with ideas
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

The latest (April '12) issue of Street Rodder has a collection of Steve Grimes cars in it. One has A Buick straight eight in it with 8 Honda side draft carbs! Check it out
Old 02-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x4 Barrels
Hi Augusto

Well here in the states we like are car`s to break loose when we bang GEAR`s

2x4`s
over here in Ecuador we don't just like 'm breaking loose, we MAKE 'em break loose, I MAKE 'EM BREAK LOOSE, I make 'em win races, with Holley's or chineese bike carbs, I don't care, I can make it anytime.

you think only in the USA there are motorheads? well for what I know, most people in the states can't even drive a stick shift car, but that's not an issue, the thing is that at your age most people think they know everything, well let me tell you don't and you are wasting the chance to learn a bit more today, I'm sure you'll bolt down a 1.100cfm holley to a 289 and will make it break loose, it's ok, I'm not racing against you anyway, I'll loose for sure, I rather be making motorcycle carbs WIN races here.

vaccum carbs are "for people who over throttle"... well that beats me, I tought ferraris, abarths, aston martins, rovers, GTR and A series racing nissans, were cars for grannies... but I may be wrong..

btw, you wouldn't belive also that a chainsaw's Tillotson HR191 carburator can be used in a car wouldn't you? well they work as well as EFI in off road engines, specially on VW dune buggies, but sorry I forgot, they don't break loose....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x4 Barrels
Hi Studebaker

Self supercharging.Could you please explain.

2x4`s

you should read a good book about two stroke engines, you'll find 'em fascinating, A. Graham Bell's 2 stroke design and tuning is my favorite, I race here Parilla Sudam 125cc kart engines, they are the formula one class of karting, 70+ hp @ 20.000 rpm from only 125cc that's only 7.6 cubic inches, is A LOT of power.

and sprint asphalt karting at 100+ mph with your butt at less than one inch from the tarmac feels like doing 500mph in an indy car, you should try it.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Well,Well,Well

Hi Guy`s

It seem`s I have hit a big nerve.First off.I only offered suggestion`s more or less a starting point.I got trashed when CV were said to be a much better choice.As far as all those fancy car`s having su`s it just mean`s the manufacturer`s felt it is better for the general public.As most people have poor driving skills.Besides the fact I have worked on and made repairs on all the car`s that were mentioned.And as far as SELF SUPERCHARGING .A total misuse of the term.And as far as reading goes.I have read enough to know I am not wanted at this party.So buy,buy this is my last post.

2x4`s

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.