Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 6" rod small block chevy engine
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6 inchers

It also takes the side load off the piston which makes your engine last longer. Your rings will also keep the seal in the bore better but as for the torque? You will notice if you do more research that you will hardly notice any more torque on the dyno, You will just see the torque has been shifted up in the RPM band. When I was in an engine program for a race team we did alot of dyno testing and found that when we install shorter rods (5.7")we would do better on a short track (3/8 mile) and when we went to a longer track (1 mile) we would use the 6 1/4" rod engines. Both engines would put out the same overall power but the short rod engine seemed to have more grunt on the lower RPM band. I personally have built myself a small block 406 and I used 6 " rods in the engine. I feel that engines that stay under 4500RPM should use shorter rods but since I built my engine out of E bayed and scrap parts, I ended up with a long rod 406 that comes on like a turbo car.
http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod%20Length.htm