6 speed swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6 speed swap

I have a 94 F-250 4x4 with a 7.3 powerstroke and the factory 5 speed trans. At some point in the future I plan to go through the engine and freshen it up a bit (325,000 miles but no major problems, just would like the peace of mind to know its all in good shape) and I would like to swap in a 6 speed. What I am wanting to know is what kind of issues am I going to have putting a ZF6 (?) newer model 6 speed in place of the 5? just looking at the two it would seem pretty straight forward, but wanted to ask prior too. Thanks

Kelly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Anyone ever done this swap? I know it can be done, I was just wondering if there was anything I needed to be prepared for?

Kelly
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Can't help you, but I've gotta ask why? The reason for more gears is to keep an engine in it's powerband. The "peakier" an engine, the greater number of gears are needed. With a diesel, the powerband is so flat you could prolly get by with a 2 speed. Just curious...

Russ
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Can't help you, but I've gotta ask why? The reason for more gears is to keep an engine in it's powerband. The "peakier" an engine, the greater number of gears are needed. With a diesel, the powerband is so flat you could prolly get by with a 2 speed. Just curious...

Russ

Mainly my reason for the swap is the low first gear. The truck is geared 3.55 which I love for highway driving(22 mpg +/-), but it is a little hard on the clutch taking off with a load. With as many miles as it has, I figured instead of going through a rebuild on the 5 speed, I would swap in a lower mileage 6 speed with the low first gear, other than the low gear to get moving when loaded, the other gears are pretty much the same. I had a F-350 with the 6 speed and got spoiled by the low gear.

Kelly
Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why not swap out that set of 3.55 gears for a 4.10 or 4.30, both of which are standard ratios for what I believe is probably the 10.25" differential(some are 10.5"). That 7.3 will seldom get into that second overdrive as it will be way below the power curve. My guess is that you will gain more useability with that higher numerical differential while losing little, if any fuel mileage - and that's a lot easier change then a transmission.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

I don't think you guys are familiar with the transmission I am referring to. I think it is a ZF6, it's the transmission that ford used in the 99 up 7.3 and 6.0. It is basically a regular 5 speed like I have with a low first gear. I am happy with the gear set in the truck even though it is a bit high, the truck does great on the road, just would like to have a little lower first gear for taking off. Plus, I'd have to swap both gear sets because it is a 4x4 and I'd lose around 5 MPG on the road. I had a 97 exact same truck with 4.11 gears and it would barely get 17 MPG empty, I'm getting around 22 MPG empty. The heavy duty 5 speed that ford used in the 450's had a low first gear, but no overdrive, mine has a regular first gear and an over drive, the 6 speed I want is basically my transmission with a low first gear, no double overdrive like the T56 or other car transmissions. Thanks

Kelly
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Ok guys I looked up the specs and just found out that a 6 speed first gear is 5.79 and my first gear is a 5.72, so I guess it wouldn't make any difference other than spacing the gears a little better to keep it in its power range, which isn't really a problem now. I guess it seemed so much lower in the F-350 because it was geared 4:10. Guess I'll consider other avenues, possibly a gear change as suggested, I just hate to give up the MPG because this truck isn't towing over 8-9,000 lbs on a regular basis, just every once in a while. Oh well back to the old drawing board..... Thanks for the input guys

ZF5 specs ZF 5 Speed Transmission Specs

ZF6 Specs ZF 6 Speed ZF S6-650 Specs

Kelly
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Go retro, find an old 2-speed rear axle! Oops, never mind - high gear is 5.83 and low is 8.11. Maybe opt for a Gear Vendors OD with a 4.56 axle?

Russ

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.