Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 6 volt-12 volt battery question
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 12:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

6 volt-12 volt battery question

I could be mistaken', but I'm sure that I have seen in a hotrod before... a battery that is sort of two 6 volt batteries in one. It is a single battery with two sets of terminal-posts.... the first set is for the stock 6 volt system, the second set of posts is for the 12 volt system. where can I get one of these? please. If I'm mistaken' about this battery.... then my second question is...... could i put two 6 volt batteries in line one after the other (just like two batteries in a flahlight), then for the newer stuff that requires 12 volts use both 6 volt batteries in tandom, and everything else just tap off of the first battery; or would the amperage be different with two 6 volt batteries than it is with one 12 volt battery?
Also, if I did either of these two things... putting a 12 volt pull on an alternator that was origanaly charging 6 volts, would I need to put a different alternator in the car? thank you for any information I might get in reguards to this. Sincerely; Rob