6 volt to 12 volt conversion? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

6 volt to 12 volt conversion?

Should I convert my 1946 ford truck to a 12 volt system? I here that there are batteries that put out 6 volt for gauges,light sand 12 volt for starting?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 03:42 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

You can use (2) 6 volt batteries in series to obtain to desired voltage for the job. This will require additional wiring.

But the correct way is to change over to 12 volts. It's requires less rewiring.

If the wire harness is in good condition it does not need to replaced.

Install a 12 volt alternator.
Change all the bulbs, horns and coil. The 6 volt horns will work for a while.
Install voltage dropping resistors for the heater fan, radio and gauges.
The old starter will work OK.
The existing switches will work OK.

vicrod

Last edited by vicrod; 03-08-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Find a 12v farm& tractor battery ( old style with caps on top of cells ), you can then tap the third cell for 6 volts with a sheet metal screw, run your accessories off the sheet metal screw, I'v never done it myself but I'v seen it done and read how to do it. each cell makes 2.1V so you can tap what you need.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:49 PM

I have a 55 Ford Fairlane that I converted over to 12v . I had to replace the battery , all lights , regulator . I left the generator in and it works fine . Just step down the gauges , radio , blower fan . All the wiring will work fine if it is still in good shape ! If not replace at this time . As for the starter it will work great . You won't know the difference . With the conversion you can hook up anything out there with no problems ! Good luck .
Jim
Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Personal preference, Amount of damage and Skill level is what it boils down to.

I personally like to replace the 60 year old harness..for several reasons, It's cotton, and is the food of the gods for Rodents, (After all, Cotton IS a grain) , and after that amount of time is oil and gas permeated and will support a flame like a fuse with little encouragement.

You get benefits of a Modern Buss System, Options for headlight and Fan relays, and Fuse links or maxi fuses for safety.

Running a Duel buss system (6/12), In my opinion is a tragedy waiting to happen, one day you'll forget what items went to what buss, and burn stuff out doing a repair/Installation. Also, you will need a 12 volt charging system that needs to be Isolated from the rest of the car.

To Change it over, you'll need for a Complete Conversion:
  • Lights all including Dash, glove box, Tag and Backup if equipped.
  • Starter Solenoid
  • Starter (see below)
  • Wiper motor (see below) If not vacuum.
  • Flasher Units
  • Cigar lighter Element (if equipped)
  • Charging System (your Choice, 1 wire, 3 wire, internal or external regulated)
  • Heater motor (see below)
  • Horn Relay and Horn (s)
  • Coil
  • Radio (if not going for retro look)

While it's true, a motor will run perfectly fine at 125% of rated value, It will shorten it's useful life. 6 volt stuff is getting harder and harder OVER THE COUNTER To find anymore..And I hate changing starters in a dark parking lot on my back whenever I can avoid it..I advocate changing motors wherever practical..

Wipers, If Vacuum, would be a good time to upgrade them, there is plenty out there in 12 volt electrical if you do a little web search..At the VERY least install a vacuum Canister to buffer Vacuum on those long pulls uphill..

You can get a dropping resistor to run the Gauges (if Electrical) and the fuel gauge. Also the Radio If you stick with stock..You can get one at the auto parts store pretty cheap, just tell them what your doing..and ALWAYS mount it outside the passenger compartment as well as fuse links..These things get hot, and can start fires.

So If you feel Comfortable with the conversion, get a GOOD kit, that has detailed Instructions, and read them until you could do it in your sleep..make notes on a note pad about changes or differences from standard, and take LOTS of Digi photos for future reference and burn it to your hard drive.

Doc
Old 03-09-2006, 07:58 AM

6v to 12v

Doc ,

I already have changed mine over to 12v !
I am going to put in a 351w with a C4 trans next summer . At that time I am going to change the entire wiring over with a new wiring system . I am looking at the "Pain Less" wiring system ! I have seen many cheaper but I know a few street rodders that have used this brand and had good luck . Is there another brand that is also a good one too ? Are the ones in the Summit & Jeg's any good ?

Thanks Again ,
Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

It depends on what the Treasury looks like.

Ron Francis makes a First class system, with Clear Instructions, and Good support. But you pay for what you get.

There is a Thread I stuck to the top of this forum, "Wiring Harness" you should give a read .. It's all folks that have used different systems, The pros and cons they encountered..Also Ron Francis and The owner of EZ 2 Wire are offering TECH info in that thread, on their Product.

Doc
Old 03-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Doc ,

Thanks for the information .
I have til' next spring to see what is out there in the wiring area .
I will agree with you , you do get what you pay for when it comes to wiring . The sad part is , I have seen many people put a fresh motor & trans in a street rod and turn around and buy the cheapest wiring they can get . Don't understand the idea behind that . I have even seen people put USED wiring from another wrecked car in there hot rod before !!
Anyway I will be doing a lot of reading BEFORE I buy one !
I live 20 minutes from the Street Rod Nationals in York , Pa . & one hour from Carsile ,Pa ( car shows ) so I have many places to see what is out there !
Thanks Again ,
Jim

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.