6 volt to 12 volt wiring system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 01:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

6 volt to 12 volt wiring system

I have a 1951 chevy car that I have put a sb chevy in with a th350 trans etc. It has all the main wiring under the dash that was cut from previous owner. I was wondering if anyone could give my some advise on how to do this or things to look out for from previous experience. Will I need to upgrade the heater motor, and windshield wiper motor? I also have a flming river tilt column that I want to hook up. Do I buy the female adapter for the column wiring? Do I need to buy flashers to make the turn signals work? Lots of questions I know but I want it to be right.
Sholud I just buy a whole new wiring harness? What kind, which is the easiest to install.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Upgrade

Doc here,

If your planning to upgrade the whole system, I would simply strip the old wires out, and go the painless kit (or other) route.

If I remember right, the Stock harness is Cotton insulated (instead of Plastic right?) and it's 54 years old...Nothing Burns better than oil and fuel soaked cotton..

You will need For your upgrade, (in either case) Headlight and Taillights, Dash lights, Courtesy lights, Backup lights (if so equipped),license plate light, Radio, Turn-signal lights, and flash unit, as well as indicator bulbs..

Your Battery Cables will need to be replaced if old stock..(from age not underating..) And you SHOULD install your ground Thusly...

Battery cable ground to an area at or near the starter bolt on the block, then get a ground battery cable with ring terminals on both ends, about 3 feet..
(about 6 bucks at the parts store..wally mart..or kmart..)

Run that cable from the frame back to the ground bolt on the starter from the battery, then run 2 ~10 gauge wires from that same bolt ... one to the firewall, and ground it, the other to the alternate mount bolt or ground lug on the alternator.Clean, and burnish off all the paint and grease at the ground points, and use a star washer on each.

An electric motor will run in excess of 125% of rated voltage...(6 will run on 12 volts) Spins faster, but decreases life span horiffically...You might want to consider a dropping resistor for the Heater fan motor.

Isn't the wiper motor on a 51 vacuum? Not sure, but if so electric doesn't fit into the equation..You may want to upgrade it or try to run it off a Vacuum reservoir and fed from the SBC manifold with a check valve..If it is electric, you will need to replace it, or run it from a dropping resistor.

Your Column Harness will require the female plug to mate it to your new harness...again, your turn-signal system will need to be upgraded..

If your SBC has a pre 73 Alternator (requires an external regulator) you'll have to install one for the altenator..If it's one wire..then you just need to back-feed it to the fusible link.

About the only electrical gauge that will report close to accurately, is the amp gauge as far as the stock instrumentation..(and oil and Temp will if mechanical..)

The fuel gauge will be in error (if not burn out at the sender) because it is total resistance divided by 6 volts...not 12...You COULD run that on a dropping resistor to keep it stock..or you could upgrade it. But it won't be right if you just blow it off..The upgrade would require a 12 volt gauge and matched resistance sending unit.

My best advise that I can give you, Is go with a wire kit...The wiring you have is 54 years old..improperly jacketed, and the wrong voltage .. (not that the voltage rating matters to the wire, just to the end component) It is probably frayed and rodent attacked in spots you haven't even found yet (if it sat for years in weather and places where rodents can attack it) and most certainly corroded at terminal ends, buss bars, and various places along the harness.

To avoid Future major problems, now is the time to replace the whole harness! Otherwise sure as shooting, it will fall apart one piece at a time..making it a job..not an adventure...

Now also would be a good time to plan your accessory Harness (CD, power amp, DVD player..ect) So you can do the whole system at once..

Advise on the kit? It varies..I suggest you do an on-line search, After you rule out price categories, Then try if you can to download or view a few sets of instructions and go with the one you feel most comfortable installing..ALL the kits are about the same, what differers greatly is the installation instructions that comes with them..Ease of interpreting the instructions is 50% of the job..and 50% of the time involved..

Read and follow the instructions carefully, be sure you fully understand the system BEFORE you begin, and make sure you get any required upgrade components (that aren't kit supplied) before you begin...and it should be a breeze..

And any problems you encounter, usually they have a tech support HTTP or hotline for your kit..and We are here for ya too!

Good Luck!
Keep us updated!

Doc
Old 05-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Doc for the reply. I will probably go with the harness I am guessing 12 circuit? Yes the wipers are a vaccuum line and yes the stock wires are in a cloth covering. I would hate to think all the time I have put into this would result in a burnt up vehicle. The Alternator is one wire and my dry cell battery is installed in the trunk where the spare tire use to go. I have basically changed everything on the car from front and rear suspension (4 wheel discs with posi 9") to a new gas tank and alot extra to mention. I might as well throw some more money into the mix for wiring harness. I am not sure what kind to get? When they say painless I would think pretty easy stuff but i don't think this is the case. Any suggestions on a harness? I am sticking with the stock gauges.
Thanks again Doc for your time
Old 05-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Harness

Doc here,

They are all about the same as I said before..about neck and neck are Painless and EZ wiring kits..I have herd that the instructions for EZ were better written (or visa versa, can't remember which) So I suggest you view the instructions and find which kit is best for you to intrepret...

Go here:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...versalharn.htm

And do a little reading...Do a goggle for The EZ...and decide which is best for you to work with.

Your the guy having to do the work..so If one set of instructions harder to read than the other , by all means, go with the easy route..Electrically They won't vary much..how they present it to you does..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.