Hot Rod Forum banner

60/40 split bench seat

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  stitcher_guy 
#1 ·
I am looking for a power front seat for my '56 chevy 2dr HT. I would like to find a 60/40 split bench that will fold forward to allow access to the rear seat. Any ideas on what seats will work (year and model)?? Thanks. Phil

#7 ·
My 2 cents. Have been looking for a set of 60/40, or wide buckets with no console, for my 41 Pontiac, with poor results. The seats I like, leather-power-Big sedan - are over 53 inches wide and won't fit. After mid 90's very few luxury cars with only 2 doors, and they all have buckets with a console.
Early 80's Lincoln Marks and Caddy Eldorados may work, but all I can find are crapped out. Dodge Intrepid (around 02) has a nice (IMO) 60/40 seat. Leather is rare, as the leather upgrade ususally means buckets/console package. But my cousin owns one with 60/40 leather, so they do exist.
On the folding back - I have the same issue with my coupe. If the seats came in both a 4 door and 2 door model (Buick Lesabre for example) then they all will work for either, with small internal modification.
I have looked at the inside of a few trashed seats at pick and pull, and believe most 4 door seats could be modified to work in a 2 door. At least the passenger seat, which would work for me.
How wide is your seat? I am very interested in what you work out, and will keep you posted on my progress.
By the way - I don't see any listing for a taurus bench seat in a two door??

#8 ·
I originally thougth the back seat would be a complete fabrication by an interior sho

Just a follow up. Solved my problem with an 03 dodge Intrepid interior. Took some mods, but very minor. 50/50 split front seats, no console. Posted some details in my Journal, but i need better pics.

Attachments

#9 ·
I just got a packet of information from Wise Guys seats in Indiana yesterday. I've been trying to find sources for power units to put on newer seats for dealers and have been hitting brick walls besides going to the junk yards or through a dealership parts counter (which is darned expensive). This place sells a whole range of seating, from frames only, frame/foam, frame/foam/covered. Prices are a bit high, but they offer full-function power seats on pretty much all the configurations. I saw seats specifically for 55-57 Chevs and other big cars.

I've not ordered any of the parts from them, but Im' tucking it into my source file for future use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.