Hot Rod Forum banner

60 to 66 Chevy Truck Owners

11K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  lakeroadster 
#1 ·
Since there is a "55 to 59 chevy truck owners" thread I thought following suit with the next neweer generation thread would be interesting.

Let's see your 60 to 66, and a link to your build thread if ya got one.

#2 ·
My 1965 Shortbed Step Side

Here's my '65.

Currently undergoing a color change from all white to factory two tone layout of orange and white. I have widened the bed 4 inches, relocated the gas tank to the frame, installed a '67 Camaro dash and lots of other little custom touches.

Truck has a 350 4 bolt small block Chevy, '70 vintage and a M-21 4-speed, '65 vintage.

Here's a link to my build thread: http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=13928

#4 ·
Hey the truck nuts. :welcome:

`65 C20

-383 CUIN / Turbo 350
-Dana 60 / 4.10 rear end
-Oak bedwood / Stainless strips / Rear roll pan
-Relocated gas tank, modified 21 gallon to 17 gallon to fit
-2000 Silverado bucket seats with center console/seat

-Body work is in progress
-Color to be is Classic orange w/ gold pearl (Exterior)
1991 Jaguar silver (Interior)
Both colors on engine already....
-Disc brake kit on order
-Need to hash out the rear suspension.

A never ending project, just don't tell the wife. :D

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=67120

Chris

#8 ·
willowbilly3 said:
Hmm, I thought 63 was still torsion arm guess I was wrong, I stopped and looked it over and it's coil springs.
60-62's C-10's had the torsion bar and x-frame set-up.

'63-66's C-10's had the ladder style frames with coils.

So, 63's are kind of a one year only deal, wrap around windshield knee knocker cab with the updated suspension.

Got any photos of your new aquisition? :mwink:

#11 ·
Yours is looking great. I've got rid of the 350 chevy with a 70-72 455 olds that's sitting on an engine stand right now. C heads, Torker intake, matching q-jet... came out of a boat. I also got rid of the fleetside bed and now it has a lwb stepside off a 62 GMC. Not a lot of time with a new baby. Looking for a good st-10 or muncie and a hydroboost system. Hoping I can find an olds diesel-powered 73-87 and kill two birds with one stone. Clip should swap in with very little work.

#15 ·
Thanks Valkyrie.

It's a 454 block out of a 1979 C20 (TH400 trans out of same donor)
which I bought for $800.00 and drove it home.

Bored .030 & Balanced
Forged Flat-tops Clevite (Mfr'd by Probe, IIRC) 224-2519.030
Comp Cams XE284H camshaft
Reconditioned (stock) 781 heads
3/8" pushrods and guideplates
Roller Rockers
New Scat 9000 Crankshaft
Pioneer Rod bolts
HV / HP oil pump & screen
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Holley 3310 (750 CFM)
Hedman headers
Lots of chrome :D

Overhauled the TH400 and installed shift kit
B&M Nitrous Holeshot 2400 RPM stall convertor

I had the engine built with an underdriven 6-71 blower in mind, but that seems like just a dream at this stage of the game.
Suffice it to say that life has been getting in the way ... :(

#18 ·
Cab Corner Splash / Gravel Guards for Step Side Bed

I fabricated some gravel guards for my '65 C10. OEM style are available aftermarket for about $80 a pair. I've got $15.00 in these, and modified the design to hide the reveal on the back of the cab.

Eazy Peazy

For more details and a drawing of these click on the build thread link in my signature line.

Here are some photos:

I used the same "Faux Patina" process that I used on the rest of the truck

As viewed from under the truck. The guards screw to the rear cab braces, in the same holes as the OEM guards.

Exterior Photos

And a comparison photo showing an OEM style guard:

#21 ·
Custom Side Trim - 1965 C10 Step Side SWB

Finished the custom side trim on my C10 today. I used some used OEM trim but modified the layout from what was used at the factory. There's more details in regard to the trim in my build thread.

Chevy never installed factory side trim on their step side beds, circa 1963 thru 1966 trucks. Even when they used side trim on the cab and front fenders, no trim on the bed? So, I figured I'd jump in where the factory left off.

The added white color on the rear fenders balances out the two tone paint. Kind of an homage to the Bel Air trim Chevy used on their factory Hot Rods.

So tell me, what do ya think?

#22 ·
I don't have one now, but have owned several '64-'66 Chevy short bed stepsides. No prettier truck on the planet in my eyes. I like the 292 banger with a granny 4-spd. First thing you want to do is put a centerforce clutch in and replace every piece of the clutch linkage. Makes 'em drive like a dream.

#26 ·
I have a question mabe some one on this site can answer,,I have a grill for a 63-66 chevy pu that does not have Chevrolet at the bottom like a 63 or ar at the top like a 65 or 66 ,it does not have the squares it only has a Floating bowtie in thr center it is factory made NOT been modified ,. it has Chevrolet on a raised tab on top of the grill
does anyone know what it fits,

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.