60 degree initial timing help...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

60 degree initial timing help......

After 14 months of redoing my 79 nova I am having a problem with the distributor and timing. I took picures of the car before i took everything apart and so i put it all back together as it was in the pictures. Now, the base timing of the engine is showing 60 degrees when before it was set at 18 degrees. I took the number one spark plug out and turned it over until the compression stroke then brought it to top dead center and put the dizzy in just as it was when i took it out. what the hell did I do wrong? The engine is a SBC 383 that was not touched during the restore, anybody have an idea of what is going on? thanks, mung I should also say that i took out the vacuum advance, but I didnt think that should matter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Do you have an advance timing light? If you do then verify that the timing knob is set to zero. If that's already done then disconnect your vacuum advance and adjust the distributor until is reaches the desired advance. It's possible the distributor was bumped a bit (it doesn't take very much) or it was installed a tooth off...
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmung
After 14 months of redoing my 79 nova I am having a problem with the distributor and timing. I took picures of the car before i took everything apart and so i put it all back together as it was in the pictures. Now, the base timing of the engine is showing 60 degrees when before it was set at 18 degrees. I took the number one spark plug out and turned it over until the compression stroke then brought it to top dead center and put the dizzy in just as it was when i took it out. what the hell did I do wrong? The engine is a SBC 383 that was not touched during the restore, anybody have an idea of what is going on? thanks, mung I should also say that i took out the vacuum advance, but I didnt think that should matter.
you sure you are one #1 plug and not a different one. I am guessing you are saying it wont run unless you set it at 60. Can you turn the dist to acheive 18 degrees and still have it run.
We need more info
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

blazin, Im not using an advance timing light. bucket, Im sure Im hooked up to #1 wire, and if I try to bring in down to the 18 degrees it was running at before it dies. Does this sound like the dizzy is off a tooth or 2? Can I move the distributor back a couple of teeth to get to the right numbers?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Do you have the correct timing tab for the balancer? Did your balancer spin on its hub?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

yea, the timing tab is where its supposed to be and the balancer was new before I took everything apart.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Timing

I've never heard of 60 degrees base timing. I would take the distributor out, and find top dead center again on the compression stroke. This can be done by taking the plug out of No. 1 and putting your finger over the hole until you can feel it pressure up but don't go past the zero mark on your tab. Now you can position the timing mark on your balancer to what ever your initial timing should be, 8-16 degrees. Then you can set the distributor in with the rotor facing No. 1 cylinder (The metal tab under the cap should be facing No. 1 cylinder. Not sure if your cap only goes on one way.) Then your can put your wires on with No.1 starting on the tang that is pointing at No.1 cylinder. Go in the clockwise direction around with your plug wires. (18436572). This should get the motor fired and then you can use your timing light. Turn the distributor counterclockwise to advance and clockwise to retard to get your base timing. It only take a very small amount of rotation to change the timing. Also I would plug your vacum advance to do this. If you have spark this should work. Hope it helps let me know if you get it working.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

yea, ive never heard of 60 degree initial timing either..... anyways, thanks for the help guys, the problem has been solved. In my infinite wisdom , I think that when I attached the timing light onto plug wire #1 it was touching #2 as well because when I went back today I was able to set it at 18 degrees...... lesson learned, pay attention and dont rush.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.