Hot Rod Forum banner

60 Rambler American rear end swap?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ramzoom 
#1 ·
I have a 1960 Rambler American and the original rear end locked up in it. Nothing good to reuse inside, pretty much roached. Wanted to know if anyone knows of any other rear ends that will slide in there without too much hassle or fab work? I know Farna posts a few great replies here often, as he seems like the "go to guru" for this...BTW, this is not a torque tube car. It does however have an interesting way of attaching the yoke to the driveshaft. Never seen anything like that.

#2 ·
that has the big pinion nut right? that's what my '65 had..

most any AMC-15/AMC-20 from a Rambler American/ Rambler Rogue will swap in, and any after '65 IIRC mount the driveshaft different. .. but also a Ford Maverick 8" will work but you need to have the driveshaft mod'd.. even Ford Ranger rear ends are reported work with the same amount of work as it takes to use a Maverick 8", and that would be about as strong as the AMC-15 it has under it

#3 ·
The EARLY Ranger rear axle will work... 93 or so and later are roughly an inch wider. You can find all the Ranger axle info you want at www.therangerstation.com.

An S-10 axle fits width wise, but then you have Chevy pattern wheels on the back, AMC/Ford/Chrysler on the front.

Hornet/Concord and Gremlin/Spirit axles seem like a natural, but they are 2" wider than the 58-69 American axle. You could use one with deeper offset wheels though.

#4 ·
if the later Ranger rear end is too wide ( 1.5" wider BTW ).. the driver side axle tube can be narrowed to the same length as the passanger side axle tube, and use another passanger side axle.. this will make the rear end 3" narrower and also center the pumpkin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.