60 Thunderbird Suspension Upgrade. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Sacred Steel

Last journal entry: The dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

60 Thunderbird Suspension Upgrade.

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for a long time and learned a lot of good information. I have a 60 Thunderbird and I want to upgrade the suspension with an air ride system but cant seem to find anything for this car. Does anyone know of a place out there that makes an air bag suspension or something similar? I already did the front disc brake conversion and I just ordered a power steering upgrade from Gearheads Cruiser Products. Thanks for the help.

Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Interesting idea. Air-Ride on a SQUAREBIRD....

I see conversions for the front of a 61/66 BIRD. Your rear suspension is leaf (The 58 BIRD was coil) and to fashion an air ride with leaf would be a pain.

Peruse this website- -AIR-RIDE TECHNOLOGIES- and -here- see if there is anything there for you.

I noticed they also offer an airbag similiar in design to a coil over shock. Beautiful! And there are applications for the MUST II conversion.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Sacred Steel

Last photo:

Thanks but I tried Air Ride Technologies and they have nothing to fit my car. I'm hoping someone will chime in who knows of a kit that can be made to fit with some modifications.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Air ride kits

Sorry I do not know of any inexpensive kits that will fit your car..

Now saying that if you are determined to have the air ride in that T-bird I would look into a 4bar kit with air ride from jim meyer racing or art morrison for the rear and do the front crossmember with the tubular A-arms and rack and pinion on the front..

I know that combo can be made to work just fine but it will require some good fabrication skills and some cash to get done..

OMT
Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

60 TBird suspension upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60tbirdrick
Thanks but I tried Air Ride Technologies and they have nothing to fit my car. I'm hoping someone will chime in who knows of a kit that can be made to fit with some modifications.
There is a trick new thing out there for leaf Mustangs...... I saw it in the mags for the older Mustangs.
IDEA...... Basicly it is a single leaf semi-rigid quarter eliptic that bolts in place of the forward half of the leaf, and then the rear end is supported by coil-overs. The locating link/leaf acts like a an anti-roll bar and a "ladder-lift bar" eliminating spring wrap up. That's a simple way to put in bags. Sorry, can't find the co's name right now, but it is marketed by one of the BIG Mustang outfits. If I find it I will add another note to thread and email you.

If you don't demand a lot of lowering adjustment, I have seen cutting off the rear of the leaf springs behind the axle only, leaving only the main leaf, and then mounting bags/air shocks to adjust the height. Essentially the same thing as above but using the rear of the main leaf as a locator too.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

disk brakes on 60 bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60tbirdrick
Hi,
I already did the front disc brake conversion .

Rick
What did you use?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Sacred Steel

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies. I used the Granada spindles. Here is a link to my write up.
http://www.squarebirds.org/disc_brake.htm
Old 08-14-2005, 08:38 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It may interest you to know the 1958 BIRD front (outboard shock absorber mounting) and rear suspension (coil spring) was designed to accept FORD's new FORD-AIRE System. It was also scheduled on FORD-EDSEL-MERC and LINC.

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.