600 Or 650 thunder series for this set up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

600 Or 650 thunder series for this set up?

Im in the middle of putting a new engine in my car
I bought the Gm 350 H.O. base crate engine ,The specs are here... 350 Crate Engine 330 HP(Base) HO with Iron Vortec Heads 19210007
I know they recommend a 600cfm but I was interested in the 650cfm Thunder series with the adjustable secondaries,but was worried that it would be too much and cause more trouble than it would be worth.

Im using the edelbrock performer RPM intake and will be using a muncie 4sp, Would the 650 be too much carb for the engine and cause some bogging or excessive tuning to get it right,,or would it be ok and work well with my set up?

So im not sure if I should just get the performer 600cfm or the thunder series 650cfm,I'll appreciate Any input or suggestion's... Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 PM

I would use a 750
Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
More for Less Racer

Won't be much difference between 600 or 650 cfm on this engine, barely a pinch of HP,....but I'd use the 650 AVS for its features if those are the two to pick from.

That additional 50 cfm won't hurt anything (drivabilty) AT ALL. The engine could easily handle a 750 for making peak power.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

I'm with Vinnie!
Put a holley 750 vac secondary on it.
If you go with either eddy carbs don't forget to use a fuel regulator as those eddy's don't like more than 5psi fuel pressure.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Ok,Thanks for the help!
I'll have to get a mechanical fuel pump,,,any of those come with a regulator built in,,or just gonna have to run one somewhere in between the line?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

You'll need an inline one.
Check here.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...el%20regulator
Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
You'll need an inline one.
Check here.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...el%20regulator
I checked on those 3 and other similar and all the reviews said they are dangerous and either leak right out of the box or soon after. So I dont think I want to chance it with one of those..
Where would you mount something like this? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-15952/overview/

Or could I just skip the regulator and get this edelbrock fuel pump,,says a max of 6psi and dont require a regulator? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet
That pump is expensive but I guess it would even out if I didnt have to buy a regulator,What do you think?

Last edited by ProfitOfDoom; 03-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
Ok,Thanks for the help!
I'll have to get a mechanical fuel pump,,,any of those come with a regulator built in,,or just gonna have to run one somewhere in between the line?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...make/chevrolet
You won't need a regulator with this pump.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...make/chevrolet
You won't need a regulator with this pump.
That will certainly save some money,,doesnt look at nice but cant say the chrome is worth $100 more.
Looks like it would be the same,but around the same pressure out put,but the summit says 40 GPH Free flow Rate,,and the edelbrock is 110 GPH Free flow Rate,,Not exactly sure what that is?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
That will certainly save some money,,doesnt look at nice but cant say the chrome is worth $100 more.
Looks like it would be the same,but around the same pressure out put,but the summit says 40 GPH Free flow Rate,,and the edelbrock is 110 GPH Free flow Rate,,Not exactly sure what that is?
Most modern motors will use roughly 1/2 lb. of fuel for each brake horsepower that is produced over the term of an hour. For instance, a motor producing 300 brake hp over the term of an hour, will use (300 x .5) = 150 lbs of fuel. Since a gallon of gasoline weighs about 6 lbs, the motor will use (150 / 6) = 25 gallons of fuel. This is running 300 hp wide open for an hour.

400 horsepower would look like this:
(400 x .5) = 200
(200 / 6) = 33 gallons of fuel. This is running 400 hp wide open for an hour.

Free flow means that there is no pressure pushing back against the pump, running the fuel from the pump into a large can for instance. This does not happen on a carbureted motor. The needle and seat in the fuel bowl controls the FLOW of fuel by shutting off the flow when the bowl is full. This will make back pressure that can be seen on a gauge as fuel pressure.

If an engine builder uses more fuel pressure than can be controlled by the needle and seat in the fuel bowl of the carburetor, then the needle and seat will yield and allow the fuel pump to blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, creating a tuning nightmare that you may not find unless you're pretty sharp. Carter AFB's and Edelbrock Performers and Rochester Quadrajets work best with slightly less than 5 psi.

Last edited by techinspector1; 03-23-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I checked on those 3 and other similar and all the reviews said they are dangerous and either leak right out of the box or soon after. So I dont think I want to chance it with one of those..
Where would you mount something like this? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-15952/overview/

Or could I just skip the regulator and get this edelbrock fuel pump,,says a max of 6psi and dont require a regulator? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet
That pump is expensive but I guess it would even out if I didnt have to buy a regulator,What do you think?
Leak!!
I don't think so!
Not the Mr. Gasket one I ran on my 56 for 5 years.
I choose those as an example because of the 1 to 6psi rating. I've found the higher rated ones say from 4.5 to 9psi not able to regulator at the bottom end.
Fuel pump won't help. Regulate it.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Leak!!
I don't think so!
I choose those as an example because of the 1 to 6psi rating. I've found the higher rated ones say from 4.5 to 9psi not able to regulator at the bottom end.
Im sure its like everything,,its either a hit or a miss with quality,,but these are the reviews I read.Cant blame me for being hesitant on using this product...
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mr. Gasket 9710 Fuel Regulator Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Mr. Gasket 9710 Fuel Regulator

I also looked up the other two and they were about the same
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Had another question regarding line sizes.
Im still deciding on if im going with a regulator or not,but I was going to use this fuel line off the carb http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-29883/overview/ ,I picked this one over the edelbrock because this has a port to add a pressure gauge. But I was going to go with this filter that comes with the edelbrock kit... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8130/overview/

They are throwing me off with the -6 AN sizes edelbrock uses? Are these just another name for the size,I looked up some chart and I think it translates into 3/8 which is the inlet size needed for the inlet of the carb fuel line linked above.

But im unsure,if these are all compatible with each other,or all the AN fittings must be used together and Dont accept NPT type threading.
I was planning on making my own hard line from pump to the end of that filter just wanted to make sure it will work like that?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

Last time I bought this stuff I think it was Edelbrock PN 8131 for the chromed hardline with filter (single feed) and the matching kit for the braided hose 8123, which later got swapped out for the black hose (8123 with something on the end - net nanny software won't let me look). Everything fit great. Remember these are soft fittings and need the proper wrench or some kind of padding to keep from chewing them up. One stop shopping.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Leak!!
I don't think so!
I've had great luck with them, never a problem.
I currently use one on the fuel side of a nitrous plate, very handy for dialing fuel pressure to match bottle temp when i don't want to fool with the bottle heater. Works pretty good too, verified by a logging AFR meter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.