600 cfm holley double pumper good idea or not - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Summit also sells reman Q Jets which are FAR superior to any Holley or Eddy. They have tight throttle shafts or bushed shafts and don't leak vacuum like some do.
The Q Jet will pay for itself quickly in the fuel you save over any other carb, period.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

have you tried rebuilding the eddy?
they are one of the most user friendly carbs out there
lots of info and help at edelbrocks site
you might try that, before you spend a bunch of $$$, that could be spent on other go fast parts
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodrobert
Summit also sells reman Q Jets which are FAR superior to any Holley or Eddy. They have tight throttle shafts or bushed shafts and don't leak vacuum like some do.
The Q Jet will pay for itself quickly in the fuel you save over any other carb, period.

No offense but this sounds like something someone would say if they've never tuned an edelbrock, or never tuned a qudrajet. Properly tuned the mileage is near identical on 90% of engines- BUT the edelbrock is idiot proof.

The Summit carb posted seems like a good one, I haven't used it and never will but I've heard good things about the basic design.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
have you tried rebuilding the eddy?
This is sure what I'd be doing, I can tell you that!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
This is sure what I'd be doing, I can tell you that!

With all due respect, there are many people who are not at all mechanically inclined, while some people can rebuild an edelbrock in under an hour some people would take the thing apart, strip half the threads, lose most of the pieces and throw it away- thus wasting money on a rebuild kit and their time.

I used to think any idiot could build a carb, or an engine, or a car- if I could do it anyone could. Now I know otherwise after seeing well meaning smart people totally FUBAR something up that I perceived as simple.

Many people today cannot build cars, their hotrods are "bought" rather than built, and as long as they're working their job to pay for it I have no problem with that- provided they don't try to pose as some mechanical genius.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72

No offense but this sounds like something someone would say if they've never tuned an edelbrock, or never tuned a qudrajet. Properly tuned the mileage is near identical on 90% of engines- BUT the edelbrock is idiot proof.

The Summit carb posted seems like a good one, I haven't used it and never will but I've heard good things about the basic design.
I have used and tuned every American carb you can think of. The Quadrajet is the hardest to tune just right but by far the best. A Q Jet from Summit or one of the other rebuilders like even Holley rebuilds Q Jets.
The Holley is the easiest to tune and the Eddy is just what was originally known as an AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) is in between. You have to use the tuning charts for the Eddy and have a lot of parts, just not as much as the Q Jet.
The best street carbs are custom Q Jets. I have done many but I have to do them on the vehicle as I am not good enough yet to just do one and send it out and expect it to be perfect. Call Cliff Ruggles at Cliff's High Performance or at least get his book on Q Jets.
The Summit carb is a redo of the old Autolite carbs used on Fords for years. They are pretty good simple carbs, less likely to leak fuel than a Holley!!
A properly tuned Q Jet will beat ANY other carb for mileage and driveability on an average street vehicle.

Last edited by Hotrodrobert; 12-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

For what its worth I have two different builds and vehicles for you to go buy. I myself and my Father both are using a holley 600cfm vacuum secondary carb and are both doing quite well with no issues.

I have a chevy s10 with a 350 making around 325-350 horsepower and close to 400 ftlbs of torque with a 350 turbo transmission and a 2200 stall converter. There is a performance engine example with an automatic transmission. My Father is driving a Ford F150 96 year model with a stick shift and his engine is a 302 ford small block stock making around 250 horse power and 300 plus torque and he is using the holley 600cfm vacuum secondary carb with no issues and is putting down almost 20 mpg with a light foot. I get less mpg but I have a bigger breathing engine so I don't get as much as he does but don't do bad for what I got.

In my opinion if you want to go Holley the vacuum secondary 600 will run nice on your build. Also if you got the extra Quick fuel came out with a brand new series of carbs called the street slayer and here is a link and for just a little bit more you can have many more tuning options with the quick fuel carb and get a better overall carb for tuning options and it also has a metering plate in the back with removable jets.

For your motor if you want to save the holley 600 vacuum secondary will be more then enough and should not need much tuning to work with your stock motor. All my Dad had to do was adjust idle mixture screws and set idle speed and his burns very nice set of tan plugs.
good luck
Eric

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICK-FUEL-S...14858872962585
Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
With all due respect...
Back at'cha. If anyone thinks buying a new carb means they're home free- guess again. New carbs often need tuning and much of that process is akin to rebuilding a carb in the first place.

I don't knoiw what the OP's experience is. But I DO know there are a LOT of guys who have had success rebuilding a carb who have never done it before- even Q-jets. The Carter/Eddy carb is one of the simplest designs from a rebuild standpoint there is. And now w/the interweb, support is abundant.

Bottom line, I think the OP could successfully rebuild an Eddy carb. But if not, a new carb isn't necessarily the solution either. If it boils down to he cannot rebuild a carb he prolly should take it to someone who can.

Edelbrock Owners Manual covering 1403, 1404, 1405, 1406, 1407, 1409, 1410, 1411, 1412 and 1413- HERE. With the info from it and from Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor- Complete Guide to Set-Up, Tuning, and Performance Jetting, and for reference- Detailed Rebuild Instructions, you can go about adjusting it for better performance.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

1st edelbrock had bad crack near the throttle shaft second was the holley had the rear metering block missing found one got it back together havnt tested it yet trying to get a electric fuel pump to test the float yet and dont want to catch the engine bay on fire then was the q-jets that was in the trunk of the car but guess what busted throttle plates even the idiot proof one then i got my carburetor from ebay and guess what it was an edelbrock the throttle shaft area was rounded out and it was very loose yes it was used and that is the reason i want to go to a new carb i might get a edelbrock i might get a holley all i was asking was what might be the best bang for the buck thats all i want im working on a 300 dollar budget and im trying to get bolt and go deal and believe me its not easy to do with my budget i know what im doing im just tired of down time and i know i can set the floats on the holley with out having the engine running and jest turning the engine with out the distributor plugged in but then comes the flooding of the engine after its done thats why i want to use electric fuel pump to do it and yes i know to set it at 7 psi thank you
Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Actually, before start up you can pre fill the float bowls through the vent. Works on most any carb w/an exposed vent to the float bowl like a Holley, Q-jet, Edelbrock/Carter, etc. Just do it carefully so there's no gas spilled. Always a good idea to put a rag around the carb while filling it. I've used a catsup bottle before, w/ or w/o a piece of small diameter vacuum tubing connected to it.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Best bang for buck is the Quadrajet. 7 psi fuel pressure? This floods the Edelbrock, a Quadrajet, and some Holleys as well. Eddie carbs and Quad`s don`t like anything over 5 psi. They say some holley`s can handle 9 psi, but I`ve never had one that would handle over 6. I could very easily go into why I perfer Quadrajets over any other carb and it comes from experience. But I won`t get into to the bashing game. Let`s just say the Quadrajet is not as intimidating as it looks and many won`t use them out of fear they`re a complicated carb hard to figure out and they don`t work any different than any other carb. Others believe they can slap on a Holley or a eddie as they believe they are better performance carbs and that`s not true. Dyno all three and tune them correctly and you`ll likely find one does no better than the other and if one made as much as 10 horses more it wouldn`t be enough to tell the difference in the drivers seat.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

I know the qjets are good as are all it's just that im tired of getting used worn out carbs that might have loose parts or look good on the out side but be so full of rust and crud on the inside thats what I been working with and it hurts cause I trust people to easily and I payed 75 for the carb on ebay so bad that chem dip wouldnt help so yea im wanting to scream lol but thank u guys for your help
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

if you are going to buy a new/rebuilt carb from someplace like summit or jegs
I would look at one of these they are really tough to beat, no matter what you see or hear in advertising
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Actually, before start up you can pre fill the float bowls through the vent. Works on most any carb w/an exposed vent to the float bowl like a Holley, Q-jet, Edelbrock/Carter, etc. Just do it carefully so there's no gas spilled. Always a good idea to put a rag around the carb while filling it. I've used a catsup bottle before, w/ or w/o a piece of small diameter vacuum tubing connected to it.

The bottle that the Lucas cam additive comes in, works perfect as well. Allan
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
if you are going to buy a new/rebuilt carb from someplace like summit or jegs
I would look at one of these they are really tough to beat, no matter what you see or hear in advertising
Matt, the link has expired. What carb were you recommending?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.